Re: US Patent Syetem Slammed in the Wall Street Journal

* Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Except that I had read many of the interviews in and news articles on
> which the story was based and they remained remarkably accurate.  I
> realize that most of you are too young to even know what a Microfiche
> or Microfilm is, but if you go to a major public library (that's
> right, you might be too young to remember what that is), you can look
> at computer magazines from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, and you will
> find lots of stories about the antics and quotes of Bill Gates.

   <http://www.archive.org/details/microfilm>

   The books in this collection are from a variety of libraries
   including the University of Chicago Libraries and the University of
   Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

   You may also want to view the newspapers that have been digitized
   from microfiche.

> Some
> of them seem almost absurd today, like when Bill Gates was insisting
> that the Internet was just a fad, a toy ,and would never amount to
> anything.
>
> Even more fun were the number of times Bill would say in one issue "We
> will never do X" and the next issue, "Bill Gates announced the release
> of X".  This included "Basic in Rom (Commodore PET)", "Consumer
> friendly computer (TRS-80)", "Disk Operating System (MS-DOS)", "poach
> the application market (Word)", "can't compete with Lotus(Multiplan)",
> "OS/2 is our new strategic Operating System (Windows 3.1)", "Unix is
> dead(NT will be a better Unix than Unix)", "We'll honor the Mosaic
> License (IE with ActiveX), "We'll support the full TCP/IP stack(except
> NFS, RARP, and anything that competes with NetBIOS)", We've fixed all
> the security problems in Windows(3.1,WFW,95,NT4, 98, ME, XP, Vista),
> this new version will repel hackers effectively"

Looks like Billy's a big fan of pontificating at Comdex:

   <http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=bill gates>

--
When you dig another out of trouble, you've got a place to bury your own.