[News] Another Law Firm Moves to GNU/Linux, Part of a Large-scale Trend

Proprietary software? Counsel objects

,----[ Quote ]
| Dowlen says, "I may be a bit of a pioneer when it comes to Linux in the law
| office, but I'm not the only one. Linux may actually make it into law offices
| through the courts, because more and more courthouses are starting to migrate
| to Linux and open source software based solely on the cost."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/140930

Days ago:

Managing a Practice with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In a recent e-mail to me, he indicated that he eschews practice management
| software like Time Matters in favor of other apps for calendaring, to-dos,
| contact management and the like. In the Linux world, from what I have seen so
| far, there appear to be three alternatives:
|
|    1. Native Linux apps (e.g. GNUCash for financials)
|    2. Online applications (e.g. Freshbooks for financials)
|    3. Running Windows applications through WINE on Linux (see my post on
|    that)
`----

http://lawtech.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/managing-a-practice-with-linux/

Recent:

Vancouver law firm trades in MS for desktop Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| He didn't have a preference when it came to Linux distributions so he tested
| a number of them. The SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) stood out for
| Giroux. It came with the GNOME desktop, which he regards as faster than most,
| Firefox, which is the company's preferred browser, and the Citrix client
| built-in.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=44529&cid=11

Related:

Is Ubuntu the Linux OS for Law Firms?

,----[ Quote ]
| The analysts predict that "Ubuntu will make a play to compete for
| enterprise Linux server business against Red Hat, Novell and Oracle."
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1179751704065&rss=newswire

Will law firms open up to Open Source?

| The Firefox web browser is probably the Open Source program most commonly
| used by lawyers. Firefox is a secure, powerful browser that outperforms
| Internet Explorer in many ways.
|
| [...]
|
| While computers are cheap, Microsoft Office is not," he said. "OpenOffice
| is a fully featured office suite, fully compatible with Microsoft Word and
| Excel. Most important of all, it is free."
`----

http://wisblawg.blogspot.com/2007/04/will-law-firms-open-up-to-open-source.html

Linux Works for Law Firm Offstage

,----[ Quote ]