[News] GNU/Linux Simpler Than Expected

Admission and Lesson - Don't Overcomplicate Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, the light came on in my rather dense head... The network manager is
| accessible through that icon, and there you can get a list of currently
| visible wireless networks, select one to connect to, enter the key if
| necessary... and the whole thing "Just Works".
|
| The moral of the story is, take the time to look for the obvious solution.
| Don't make it complicated just because you expect it to be! It's obvious that
| a lot of work has gone into Linux, and the various customized distributions
| of it, to make it easy. Oh, and remember, there is a LOT of old information,
| advice, descriptions and such on the web, which was often very good when it
| was written, but is probably out of date now, so when you do a Google search,
| and something comes up that is date 2006 or whatever, be cautious with it.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008746o-2000498448b,00.htm

A lot of advice that refers to the command-line can easily be done using the
GUI. The CLI is just quicker and more universal.

Related:

Along the Commandline

,----[ Quote ]
| Naturally, we talk about the BSDs, Linux and Mac OS X whenever we speak
| about shells and commandline interfaces. But why does the commandline
| have a reputation that belies its power? Why did the hold over users'
| minds exercised by Apple and Microsoft lead to an almost complete
| rejection of commandline interaction? Why do we, the masters of
| the commandline, feel slightly sheepish in the presence of the
| GUI builders?
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/205

5 Reasons to Use CLI Over GUI

,----[ Quote ]
| First, I must say that using CLI is not always faster, not necessarily. There
| are tasks which can be done faster and easier using some GUI application
| rather than typing a whole bunch of commands. But, nevertheless, command line
| is still very powerful and it's more appropriate to use it for certain tasks.
| I for one use probably 90% GUI tools and applications and only in 10% of the
| cases CLI. So, you may ask, what's the scope of this? Well, in the first
| place, this article is about the reasons I believe to be noteworthy for using
| CLI in several situations, and what advantages it has.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/07/5-reasons-to-use-cli-over-gui.html

10 Reasons Why the Command Line is More User-Friendly than the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Keying is faster than mousing.
|
| It's easier to both give and get help.
|
| Repetitive stress injury comes from the mouse, not the keyboard.
|
| Commands are standard where GUIs are not.

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=10_reasons_why_the_command_line_is_more_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Linux on the line: musings on the CLI / GUI flip-flop

,----[ Quote ]
| People are a funny lot. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. And
| one person’s primary means of instructing a computer is met with disdain by
| another. There’s a perennial battle between mousers and keyboard jockeys,
| and “what’s in” appears to go in cycles.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15449/1141/

Geek to Live: The command line comeback

,----[ Quote ]