Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Cannot Catch Up with Cisco and VMware

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:19:46 +0000
<2439155.6KWplV8jxm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 16 July 2008 18:19 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer
>> <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 04:29:37 +0100

>> "No-compete" deal?
>>
>> Uh...who's heading the QEMU effort?  Is there a foxhole nearby?
>> Will Google step in?  (The Android emulator depends on QEMU.)
>
> I installed it a couple of days ago (it's on the repo) and took
> some CDs for a spin. Something tells me that VMWare's software
> is far ahead.

It's probably more polished.  QEMU works reasonably well but
the source code internals are a tad ugly, and QEMU doesn't
have a GUI to speak of apart from a resizing view-window (it
resizes if the machine flips from text to framebuffer).

> Microsoft's
> trouble in /datacentres/ is VMWare, Xen, and Virtual Iron (which
> is already shouting at Xentrix' direction for abandoning its
> contributors).
>
>>> Embrace, extend, extinguish. Microsoft's "innovation" at its finest.
>>>

>> Yeppers.  After all, never mind such issues as fair play
>> and competition.  Can't have that.
>
> Not in a 'free'* market. "Let the folks from Redmond innovate,"
> a certain dictator would say.

Oh, they innovate all right -- just not in the technical arena.
And I'm not even sure about that, as Standard Oil and the
Cosa Nostra probably pioneered a number of contract enforcement
methods, some of them subtler than ones involving kneecaps.

> ___
> *as in "Free to abuse", create Trusts; nothing to do with libre in the
> traditional sense. More like "Land of the Free Riders".

The intent presumably is to socialize the negatives,
privatize the positives, as someone put it.

In other words, taxpayers get to bail out the losers,
with the winners getting off as scott free as they can.

[.sigsnip]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}