[News] Low-cost Laptops Change the Game for GNU/Linux

CyberLink Sees Opportunities in Netbooks, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Multimedia software maker CyberLink sees a lot of opportunities in the
| fast-growing netbook segment of the computer market, from online access
| to files stored on home PCs to multimedia software made for Linux OSs.
|
| Some of the most popular netbooks, or mini-laptops, being launched come with
| options for far less storage space than mainstream laptops, such as Asustek's
| Eee PC 1000, Eee PC 901and Acer's Aspire one.
|
| Many of them also run on a Linux OS, such as Linpus Linux Lite on the Aspire
| one and Linux OS by Xandros on the Eee PC. These netbooks can also come with
| Windows XP instead.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148475/cyberlink_sees_opportunities_in_netbooks_linux.html

Recent:

ASUS Eee PC is a good option for a lightweight laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| All told, the Eee PC is a great out-of-the-box Linux laptop for new users.
| With the default Xandros install, everything just works. The boot speeds are
| amazing, and suspend/resume works great.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=239

Test Bench: Flash-based laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Acer owes its speedy start in part to its Linux-based operating system,
| which is far more nimble than Windows. Of course, you won’t have access to
| Windows-compatible software, but the custom-built Linux interface is friendly
| and you get a full set of office, media and internet applications on its 8GB
| solid-state drive.
|
| [MacBook Air just 4/5.]
|
| ASUS EEEPC 901 £319
|
| START-UP TIME: 27SEC
| The Asus EeePC was the first, revolutionary solid-state, bargain basement
| laptop. This latest version is the most refined yet. Our review unit ran
| Windows XP and comes with Microsoft Works and StarOffice preinstalled.
| However, the version running Linux offers faster start-up speeds and speedier
| performance - the Intel Atom processor and 1GB of Ram frankly struggles with
| XP, although the 20GB of memory is generous.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/test_bench/article4315331.ece

Acer punts £199... er... £220... er... Linux laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| At launch, the company stated the basic version of the Eee PC rival would run
| Linux, pack in 8GB of solid-state storage and 512MB of memory, and sport a
| £199 price tag. Company officials stressed that that figure included VAT, the
| UK's 17.5 per cent sales tax.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/02/acer_ups_linux_laptop_price/

Microsoft sees slide in profits