[News] Flexibility Makes GNU/Linux Powerful and Attractive

The strength of Linux is in it's flexibility

,----[ Quote ]
| No other operating system that I know of has so many choices to enable it to
| be customised in the way that you wish. If you don't like the desktop, you
| can change it. If you don't like the installed programs, you can change them.
| If you don't like the package management, you can change it. You can, with
| the proper knowledge of course, change every single aspect of the Linux
| operating system (for the hair splitters, when I say Linux I mean the Linux
| kernel and any other installed programs to make an operating system) to suit
| your special requirements.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/the-strength-of-linux-is-in-its-flexibility-25956

Related:

Control is the real open source advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| When you are running open source you control your own code. You also
| control the code budget. When you are using a proprietary solution --
| no matter how good the solution -- the vendor controls your code. They
| decide what you will pay, and when.
|
| [...]
|
| For big vendors, then, the genie is out of the bottle. Control of software
| has shifted to the customer. They can either adapt to this reality, move
| down-market to enterprises that would rather not control their software, or
| they can die like newspapers are dieing.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=844

Mobile is dead! (or the flexibility of Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't think there is any compatibility between say Vista and Mobile
| or even Mobile and CE. You have different tool sets for many of
| these, completely different kernels in many cases and some have
| arbitrary limitations that I don't quite understand from a
| technical perspective. Behind the scenes this all has to be a
| nightmare to manage and I'd guess the duplication of effort
| is astounding. Makes me glad I run Linux on almost every device I own.
`----

http://jeremy.linuxquestions.org/2007/06/07/mobile-is-dead-or-the-flexibility-of-linux/

On the Bench: PCLinuxOS 2007, radically simple?

,----[ Quote ]
| Using the KDE desktop as a starting point does provide some
| challenges of course. It is most similar to the Windows
| interface, but at the same time it makes as many options
| as possible available to the enduser which works against
| the effort of making the desktop simple. If the PCLinuxOS
| team wants to do something radical it needs to re-design
| the KDE desktop. Of course this would alienate the more
| experienced KDE users in its fanbase, but then again who
| is the user you want to create a distribution for?
`----

http://opensourcelearning.info/blog/?p=359

Case Study: Fast, Simple Open-Source IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Zappos doesn't make its own shoes, but it does make its own software.
| The company's 15-person development group--Zappos employs about 1,000
| total--has actually built the majority of the systems that run the
| retailer's business, relying largely on open-source software such as
| Linux, MySQL, Apache and PERL. That includes the Web site itself,
| the company's warehouse management system, customer service and
| merchandising planning tools, and the extranet available to thec
| ompany's vendors. The main reason: flexibility. "We like the ability
| to make changes on a daily basis," says Hsieh. "We don't roll out a
| new version of X, Y or Z every quarter. We do it incrementally."
|
| Staying open source has offered a number of other advantages to the
| company's development team, according to Athan. For starters, he says,
| he's able to solve coding issues a lot faster than he otherwise might
| with commercial software. "You can do a Google search or go to a
| message board and get an answer to a coding problem instantly, rather
| than waiting for some vendor rep to call," he says. More important,
| with the company growing at such a rapid clip, Athan and his team
| are able to add both servers and people without having to worry
| about getting additional licenses.
`----

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,1540,2055764,00.asp

Open Source Systems Management Offers Flexibility

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=21823