[News] Publisher Introduced to Free Software by Buying Linux Laptop

OpenOffice - free and as good as the Microsoft offering IMHO

,----[ Quote ]
| Purchasing the Asus Eee PC however, introduced me to the world of OpenOffice
| and I have to say I am very impressed.
`----

http://www.hydrapinion.com/index.php/create/2008/07/15/openoffice-free-and-as-good-as-the-micro

The guy was all about Microsoft and yet he loves his Linux-based Eee.

Test drive OpenOffice.org 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The import extension opens PDF documents in either Impress or in OpenOffice
| Draw. The PDF is imported and each line of text can be edited as a single
| entity. Importing PDFs at this point does work but there are variable results
| in the formatting of documents, particularly those with complex layouts. But
| standard documents with a linear layout work reasonably well.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2579

Days ago:

Test Bench: Flash-based laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Acer owes its speedy start in part to its Linux-based operating system,
| which is far more nimble than Windows. Of course, you won’t have access to
| Windows-compatible software, but the custom-built Linux interface is friendly
| and you get a full set of office, media and internet applications on its 8GB
| solid-state drive.
|
| ASUS EEEPC 901 £319
|
| START-UP TIME: 27SEC
| The Asus EeePC was the first, revolutionary solid-state, bargain basement
| laptop. This latest version is the most refined yet. Our review unit ran
| Windows XP and comes with Microsoft Works and StarOffice preinstalled.
| However, the version running Linux offers faster start-up speeds and speedier
| performance - the Intel Atom processor and 1GB of Ram frankly struggles with
| XP, although the 20GB of memory is generous.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/test_bench/article4315331.ece

IT: City of Modena switches to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/1179/1/lang,en/