Re: Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.

Rex Ballard wrote:

> On Jul 14, 5:51 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> ____/ Homer on Monday 14 July 2008 13:03 : \____
>> > Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:

> I'm not surprised.  When I got my EEE, it just worked.  I didn't HAVE
> to do anything, but when I got connected to the Internet, one of the
> options was to get updates and additional software.
>
> Originally, I thought I might install SUSE or Red Hat Linux, but the
> ASUS Linux is perfect for this little computer.
>
>> > Straight from the horse's mouth.
>
> You can expect a retraction within 48 hours ;-)
>
> I'm sure that Ballmer has already made a phone call and some veiled
> threats.  Hopefully, the CEO has a recording system that can record
> those incoming calls from Ballmer.  Of course, there are all those
> nondisclosure agreements, so it can't be published or used in a direct
> lawsuit, but it could be used to provide information to the EU courts
> as well as the US DOJ (like the Bush administration would actually DO
> anything with the information).
>
>> The Eee PC is somewhere between the phone and the laptop... well, in a
>> sense anyway.
>
> It's the best of a PDA, Laptop, phone, and diary.  It's small enough
> that you can carry it with you to meetings, take notes in real-time,
> and store the documents in OpenOffice formats, and/or save them in MS-
> Office formats.  Later, you can plug in an external USB drive,
> external keyboard, and external video monitor and have a respectable
> desktop computer.  If you also have a personal computer, you can even
> use the EEE as a WiFi hub, or share via a standard ethernet cable.
>
>> People just need something that works. People don't want Windows XP with
>> defrag.exe and Solitaire on their telephone.
>
> Defrag is built into the file-system, the EEE also includes some
> games, including Solitaire, Crack Attack, Penguin Racer, Suduku,
> Potato Guy, LTris (like tetris).  There are also educational programs,
> including a planitarium, Periodic table, a typing tutur, Hangman (in
> different languages), Fraction Tutorial, TuxMath, Geometry, and
> Function Plotter.  There is also Paint, Tux Paint, and Web Skool.
> There is also a video player, music manager/player, photo manager/
> viewer, sound recorder, and a media player.
>
> I've also been seeing some commercial software for the EEE as well.
> Can I-Tunes, Napster, and Roxio be far behind?
>

>> It has been claimed in other articles that the tinkerers (those who need
>> extra programs and stuff) are those who insist on getting XP. How things
>> have changed...
>
> The one thing that WinTrolls could argue is that most people get the
> ASUS EEE as a second computer, a supplement to their desktop or
> laptop.  This means that these users still have access to Windows, but
> they just don't need Windows when they are in a restaurant, in a
> conference room, or on an airplane, where the seat in front of you is
> [...]

Nice post, Rex - and glad to see you contributing here a bit more frequently
these days.

Just a couple of points:-

- You don't mention any anti-virus suite on your Linux version - is there a
reason for that?  Would you use one if it were running XP?:-)

- On the figures (sales) I was intrigued to read what Asus said.
A few months ago (and from memory) I thought that I read that MS had confirmed
that the Asus machine was selling 60% Linux, 40% XP, and that MS "hoped to
reverse this".  Interesting - I'd expected it to be a longer day in coming
when MS would regard a 40% Linux market share (I use that term advisedly in
this instance) as being a victory:-)
That would tie in very nicely though with what Asus are saying now, i.e.
   50/50 production
   Linux version sold out, XP available
   Asus intent to keep that 50/50 ratio the same

Now just run past me once more those jibes from Windows enthusiasts that "the
world has "chosen" to use Windows rather than Linux", and reconcile that, if
you will with what happens when there is a real choice:-)