[News] New Linux Kernel Released (2.6.26)

Linux 2.6.26

,----[ Quote ]
| So it's been almost three months since 2.6.25 (87 days to be exact, I
| think), making this a longer-than-usual release cycle. Or maybe it just
| feels that way, and we're always getting close to three months these days.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/7/13/216

How many versions of OS X and Windows are released every year? GNU/Linux
distributions typically have a 6-month cycle; the kernel sees a ~3-month
cycle.

KVM shows just how much ahead Linux is.

Recent:

KVM backer takes virtual desktops on the road

,----[ Quote ]
| Qumranet, the well-moneyed entity behind KVM, is asking folks to help it test
| out some new desktop virtualization code that sends applications out from
| headquarters to remote offices.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/01/qumranet_multi_site_ice/

Red Hat announces embedded Linux hypervisor

,----[ Quote ]
| The Embedded Linux Hypervisor is founded on the Kernel-Based Virtual Machine
| (KVM) project, which has been integrated into the Linux kernel since 2006.
| Red Hat has claimed KVM supports live migration of virtual machines from
| system to system in real-time and also has high availability features.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39436036,00.htm

Ubuntu 8.04 KVM Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| With these few single threaded tests, the results were very close between
| Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 8.04 running within a virtualized environment powered
| by KVM. In fact, to an end-user, the results between the two environments
| wouldn't even be noticeable.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_virt_benchmarks&num=1

Related:

Ubuntu picks KVM over Xen for virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9867657-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20