[News] [Rival] Windows 3.11 is Dead While Microsoft Loses Embedded Market

MS takes Windows 3.11 out of embed to put to bed

,----[ Quote ]
| First question: which electronics manufacturers embed Windows 3.11 for
| Workgroups in their products? Second question, and much more pressing: why?
|
| We ask merely because Microsoft has told world+dog it’s withdrawing the
| ancient operating system from the embedded market. In November 2008. So this
| gives manufacturers plenty of time to move onto something more modern… like
| Windows 95, maybe.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/11/microsoft_retires_windows_311_for_workgroups/

Recent:

Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

,----[ Quote ]
| Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft is fighting a losing battle here. It's like gravity.
| Eventually you just stop fighting and learn to accept it. Even Microsoft.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9919632-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Linux still top embedded OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
| following reasons for Linux's popularity:
|
|     * Licensing cost advantages
|     * Flexibility of source code access
|     * General familiarity
|     * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
|     * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS

Why Linux won the embedded market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2501