[News] A Look at Wubi, The Essenes of Live CDs to Windows Users

Wubi: The Easy Way To Test-Drive Linux On A Windows PC

,----[ Quote ]
| There must be a catch, right? Not really: If you're looking for a realistic,
| fully functional Linux desktop experience, Wubi comes awfully close. While
| you will see a slight performance penalty running Ubuntu on a Windows file
| system rather than on a native Linux partition, keeping your Windows disk
| defragmented will keep the difference to a minimum.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/wubi_the_easy_w.html

Why you want (and need) a Linux Live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| For the most part, on this blog, I try to convince readers to do something
| defensive on their computers - like a parent nagging a child to eat their
| vegetables. Only once have I put my foot down, so to speak, saying
| unequivocally last year that all Windows XP users should employ DropMyRights.
| Now, another emphatic endorsement - all Windows users should have a Linux
| Live CD, and, know how to use it.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9988099-33.html?hhTest=1

Recent:

When Dubie met Wubi

,----[ Quote ]
| Loyal readers of this column will remember our four-part series on installing
| one of the more popular distros of Linux, Ubuntu. Now that Ubuntu 8.4 LTS
| (Long-Term Support) has been released, with Firefox 3, you might be curious
| about how to check out and possibly use this upstart OS, but you're reticent
| because of all the nastiness you've heard about partitioning your hard drive,
| which once fell into the realm of Upper Geekdom.
|
| Worry no more. Wubi, a free Ubuntu installer for Windows, handles all that
| folderol. It installs Ubuntu as though it were another application on your
| hard drive, and you can delete it at your leisure. You can then test drive
| Ubuntu and its open-source applications, then switch back to Windows if you
| so desire.
`----

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/BUSINESS/444779100/-1/business

Why Aren’t All Linux Live CDs Customizable?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, Linux is an operating system that I do recommend to people at times. I
| don’t use Linux as my operating system, but I do have several Linux live CDs.
| A live CD is one that is started as an ISO file that you download, burn it to
| a CD, pop it into your drive and reboot. Your computer will run Linux from
| memory, without writing it to your hard drive. There are even ways that you
| can put a Linux distro on a flash drive, which is nice. I can carry it around
| with me, along with some diagnostic tools. This way, if I am working on a
| machine that won’t boot into Windows, I can open it up with Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| You can even choose your default wallpaper(s), including your username, and
| including the volume at which the controller is set on boot. It’s very easy
| to create one of these, and absolutely free. If you choose to create
| a ‘custom’ CD, you choose what categories you want included… and then choose
| the software! Add what you want, and know you’ll use. Leave the rest alone.
| How cool is it to finally be able to choose what YOU want and need?
`----

http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/07/06/why-arent-all-linux-live-cds-customizable/

How To Make A Fully Customized KDE Live CD/DVD Using Kubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.e-linux.it/news_detail.php?id=5552