Re: [News] [Rival] Latest iPhone Cracked

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
<f@xxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:59:24 -0400
<80756$4877673d$32137@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> iPhone OS 2.0 Unlocked
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The new iPhone OS 2.0 software has been unlocked and jailbroken.
>> | It was released just hours ago and it has already been cracked
>> | by the iPhone Dev Team. The first one took a couple of months,
>> | but this one was actually unlocked before Apple released it to
>> | the public. And you have had the proof in front of you all morning.
>> `----
>>
>> http://gizmodo.com/5023971/iphone-os-20-unlocked-yes
>>

> People are more interested in hacking the iPhone than using the OpenMoko
> phone which is already open.

It's worse than that.  Someone out there is disrepecting
AT&T and Apple, possibly violating copyright law, certainly
violating trade secrets.

Perhaps there's not much that can be done; it's not that
difficult to read a ROM, after all.  Best I can do is to
have the microprocessor swallow the ROM -- which of course
increases the microprocessor's chip size and decreases
the yield of die per wafer.

As for OpenMoko -- the Neo Freerunner is on sale now,
according to www.openmoko.com.  Make of it what one will.
The iPhone is clearly superior, in many respects, though
the FreeRunner apparently has a better resolution display
and removable battery, and is based on FOSS, though if
one pokes around Android one runs into issues with part of it.

FreeRunner           iPhone

4.75"x2.44"x0.73"    4.5"x2.4"x0.48"
6.5 oz               4.7 oz
2.8" diagonal        3.5" diagonal
touchscreen          touchscreen
640x480 pel          480x320 pel
ARM9 400 MHz         unknown
1200 mAh, removable  unknown, nonremovable
unknown talk time    5 hours 3G talktime, 10 hours 2G talktime
unknown standby      300 hours standby
unknown Internet     5 hours 3G internet, 6 hours wifi
WiFi                 WiFi
AGPS, GPRS           UMTS/HSDPA, GSM/EDGE
Bluetooth 2.0        Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
128 MD SDRAM
260MB Flash          8 GB Flash
unknown              $199
FOSS                 MacOSX proprietary