Re: [News] Microsoft Vista -- Powered by GNU/Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:33:27 +0000
<1791533.qCnYUCILZR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> MS's biggest blunder,

Not sure "blunder" is quite the right word, though it
is interesting.  Perhaps Microsoft was thinking no one
would notice or care.

That is indeed a gaffe; we've got a *lot* of technical
types here, and many of them know about wget or
equivalent tools -- or in a pinch can write their own.

> uses Linux and Apache and PHP for its infrastructure to
> promote Windows Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Headers For: http://mojaveexperiment.com
> |
> | Connection: close
> | Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:53:51 GMT
> | Accept-Ranges: bytes
> | ETag: "27b85b4-bfc-62838080"
> | Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
> | Last-Modified: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 03:30:58 GMT
> | Client-Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:53:51 GMT
> | Client-Peer: 72.47.200.149:80
> | Client-Response-Num: 1
> | Title: The "Mojave Experiment"
> `----
>
> http://openmanifesto.blogspot.com/2008/07/mss-blunder-with-mojave-experiment-uses.html
>
> Et tu, Microsoft?

It's not like they haven't leveraged Linux before, for their
websites.

> Earlier:
>
> Why the 'Mojave Experiment' Fails
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 1. Microsoft treats its customers like they're stupid. I've had this
> | complaint for a decade.

More than that, methinks. ;-)  From 1986:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZvhPGXrg0g

Would you buy an OS from this man?  Or just a used car?

Then again....

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_os.shtml

so possibly Microsoft treats its customers like they're
stupid, because some of them are idiotic, boneheaded,
neurally-challenged, imbecilic morons.  (The rest might
play such on TV. ;-) )

> | [...]
> |
> | 2. Microsoft embarrasses Mojave participates.

They've probably embarrassing themselves, too, judging from
some of the comments left on

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/29/microsofts-new-vista-ad-campaign-microsoft-mojave/

> | [...]
> |
> | 3. The marketing campaign blames customers for Vista's problems.

Well, if the customers would just shut up and use it,
everyone would be happy hunky dory and flowers would
magically fall from the sky and come up roses.

Or something.

> | [...]
> |
> | 4. Microsoft denies there is a real problem.

There are multiple problems here, and to some extent we
are partly to blame -- though to be fair, how much looking
around is one expected to do when one wants a new 'puter?

It is supposed to be a system, after all, and without
software, it's just a metal box with a BIOS.

> | [...]
> |
> | 5. Mojave seethes with arrogance.
> `----
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/marketing/why_the_mojave_experiment_fails.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
>

> Dissecting Microsoft?s Mojave Experiment
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, something stuck me about
> | Microsoft?s Mojave Experiment that hadn?t clicked when I first watched it.
> | Out of the 140/120 participants (the number varies depending on the source)
> | that Microsoft say took part in this experiment, we don?t actually seem to
> | hear from that many. Why?
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2311

[rest snipped for brevity]