Re: [News] Apple Attacks GNU/Linux, Says You Can't Have Your Music, Video

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:20:07 +0000
<4730451.thCstMBIQX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Apple tries to shut down El Tunes - Viva La El Tunes!

*Only* Apple?  I'd be surprised if they haven't contacted
others; the MPAA would certainly love to assist, if asked
nicely, methinks.

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | What is El Tunes?
> |
> |     El Tunes is a GStreamer plugin that allows Linux users to play all music
> |     they have purchased from the iTunes Music Store!
> `----
>
> http://vadi-blog.com/2008/07/30/apple-tries-to-shut-down-el-tunes-viva-la-el-tunes/
>
> Why free software and Apple's iPhone don't mix
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Apple's DRM software and the accompanying legal threats are in place to
> | further their own interests by restricting the freedoms of computer users,
> | while GPLv3 exists to protect those freedoms. If you are a software
> | developer, please support free software by sharing your code under the terms
> | of GPLv3. Even if you are not writing code specifically for the iPhone, use
> | GPLv3 to ensure that no one else can subject it to the shackles of Apple's
> | DRM.
> `----
>
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/why-free-software-and-apples-iphone-dont-mix
>
> Apple Denies Linux Access To Its Movie Trailers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I want to thank Apple for being exclusionary to Linux users when you benefit
> | so greatly from Open Source software.  It sets a great example and shows what
> | is really important to you as a company...and that is forcing your software
> | onto everyone similar to Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/273-Apple-Denies-Linux-Access-To-Its-Movie-Trailers.html

"Deny" is a strong word.  One could construe it as a
deliberate miscoding, but the actual URL is simple enough
to filch, if one reads the source.  For example, medium
quality for 007: Quantum of Solace goes to

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/quantumofsolace/trailer1/medium.html

which contains embedded Javascript containing, among other things,
the URL

http://movies.apple.com/movies/sony_pictures/quantum_of_solace/quantum_of_solace-tlr1_h.480.mov

Comes right up for me, if I use this URL directly.
If this is their notion of "denial", they need far stronger walls.

It is possible I need a different configuration; a
response from a Ubuntu user on the linux-blog said they
had no trouble at all, and didn't even have to view the
page source.

[rest snipped for brevity]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.