[News] Mac OS a No-Starter in Datacentres; Linux Storage Benchmarks

OS Roundup: Apple, Out of Touch With Server Room Needs

,----[ Quote ]
| So where does that leave Apple's server OS? In the nine years since its
| launch, it's gone precisely nowhere, and with Unix server spending declining
| in the first part of the year, according to IDC, it doesn't exactly look like
| sales are going to explode any time soon. Where will Apple be devoting its
| attention over the next year or two then: Developing its server OS or making
| more toys for the boys (and girls)? That's a tough one. Not.
|
| Lest you think I am just another mindless Apple basher, I'll proudly admit to
| having an iPod Touch, a black Classic, white fourth- and third-gen models, a
| silver Nano, and three Shuffles (one lost) in a variety of colors. But would
| I put an Apple Server in my business? Not a chance.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3762196

SSD vs. SATA RAID: A performance benchmark

,----[ Quote ]
| Solid state drives (SSD) have many advantages over traditional
| spinning-platter hard drives including no noise, low power and heat
| generation, good resistance to shock, and most importantly, extremely low
| seek times. To see just how much an SSD might improve performance, I used
| Bonnie++ to benchmark a contemporary SSD as it might be used in a laptop
| ccomputer.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/142657

Days ago:

Geek Sheet: A Tweaker’s Guide to Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Tweak #4: Ditch the journal and RAID your SSDs.  File system journaling is
| done primarily for increased reliability, but it’s a drag on performance.
| Given that SSDs by their nature are going to be less prone to reliability
| quirks than a conventional drive, Mandrake suggests creating a RAID1 of two
| SSD units and formatting the file system to ext2, or formatting them to ext3
| and mounting them as ext2 in the /etc/fstab. Dump your MySQL database on a
| RAID of ext2 SSDs, and you’ll be in performance hog heaven.
|
| Gonna mortgage your house or send your children into slavery for sweet SSD
| love?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190

Two weeks ago:

If your SSD sucks, blame Vista, says SSD vendor

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/