[News] [Rival] Yahoo Praised for Annulling DRM, Turning Away Ballmer's Mafia

EFF applauds Yahoo Music for reimbursing customers

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo Music earned kudos from one of the Web's most outspoken advocacy groups
| on Monday.
|
| The music service, which has opted to get out of music retail and
| subscription services, is offering to reimburse customers who bought music
| from Yahoo Music Unlimited.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10000921-93.html

Yahoo CEO Yang sees one direction: Forward

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo (YHOO) CEO Jerry Yang is understandably relaxed, as a man who just
| dodged a bullet. But he isn't ready to breathe too easy.
|
| "Look, I think we cannot go back to business as usual," Yang said during a
| 40-minute phone interview last week. "The last six months have been a test
| for Yahoo, but we are stronger for it and ready to move forward."
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2008-07-28-yahoo-yang_N.htm
http://tinyurl.com/5dwyjk

Yahoo should sue Microsoft. It broke the law if it tied up with Icahn.

10 Dumbest Lies of the Micro-hoo-gle-cahn Saga

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft: "Dominance is bad."
|
| On February 1, Microsoft set the porcine tone by presenting itself as the new
| champion of choice, explicitly declaring that the deal represented the best
| chance at avoiding a Google monopoly.
|
| The message itself was credible, but the source was not. After all, wasn't it
| just a few minutes ago that Microsoft was the unstoppable Evil Empire? The
| reality is that most people do indeed want to see a counter-balance to
| Google's power ... but they're not particularly thrilled to have that balance
| come from Microsoft.
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2008/07/portfolio_0729

Microsoft: "Gathering intelligence on enemy activities is critical to the
success of the Slog."

                        http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf
                        -- Microsoft, internal document

Recent:

Icahn and Microsoft to oust Yahoo board

,----[ Quotre ]
| CORPORATE RAIDER Carl Icahn and convicted monopolist Microsoft have asked
| Yahoo shareholders to vote out Yahoo's board and install Icahn's proposed
| slate of replacements.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/07/icahn-microsoft-team-oust-yahoo

Microsoft cops to talking with Icahn on Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Dispensing with its previous above-the-fray posture, Microsoft has
| admitted -conspiring with- talking to activist Yahoo shareholder Carl Icahn,
| who is trying to oust the Internet company's board and Chief Executive Jerry
| Yang for failing to sell out to the software giant.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/microsoft-talki.html

Yahoo: Icahn “Manipulates The Facts”

,----[ Quote ]
| The company also says it is “patently untrue” that the company turned down an
| offer of $40 a share from Microsoft and sabotaged the later offer of $33. The
| letter contends that Yahoo’s board “has at all times been focused on
| maximizing shareholder value.”
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/06/05/yahoo-ichan-manipulates-the-facts/?mod=googlenews_barrons
http://tinyurl.com/64nvv5