[News] [Rival] Microsoft Loses Control of Destiny, New Products Fails

Memo To Ballmer: Microsoft Doesn't Control Its Own Destiny

,----[ Quote ]
| Does that seem crazy? Yes. But what about the Zune? Microsoft messed around
| with hardware makers for years before belatedly deciding to take the DIY
| approach, which didn't thrill its PlaysForSure partners. Yet if Microsoft has
| confidence in its platforms, it needs to prove that the weak links in the
| Windows chain have been the partners and not Microsoft. It doesn't even need
| to sell a lot of whatever it builds, just enough to show how it should be
| done according to Microsoft. In the process, it may find out that it's been
| asking a lot -- perhaps too much -- of its partners.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/memo_to_ballmer.html

Microsoft limbers up to fight for online future

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite spending billions to catch up, Microsoft is still a poor third in
| online search. The on-off, on-off merger with Yahoo hasn’t helped Ballmer’s
| mood. He had made the case that Yahoo was critical to the future of
| Microsoft’s saggy online services. Now he has to make the case that it’s not.
|
| Then there’s Vista, the latest incarnation of Microsoft’s world-beating
| Windows computer-operating system. Last year’s rollout was a bug-ridden
| disaster.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article4406824.ece

Last week:

Microsoft should issue debt for a buyback--analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) should take on
| debt to repurchase stock as a way to revive its flagging share price, a
| financial analyst said in a new report issued on Tuesday.
|
| Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co analyst David Hilal called on the company to
| take advantage of its predictable cash flow and rock solid balance sheet to
| execute a leveraged buyback.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2225586020080722

Recent:

Eight Years of Wrongness

,----[ Quote ]
| That performance record would be embarrassing enough on its own, but it comes
| in spite of going through an unprecedented amount of our cash on buybacks
|                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^
| (nearly $43 billion worth in just the past three fiscal years) and other
| schemes that were supposed to drive the stock.
|
| [...]
|
| Some readers may be surprised that I was initially a Ballmer supporter.
`----

http://msftextrememakeover.blogspot.com/2008/06/eight-years-of-wrongness.html

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205