[News] Review of Linux-based High-end Eee PC

ASUS Eee PC 1000 (Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| A bigger screen, wider keyboard, and larger solid-state drive make this Eee
| PC one of the best to date. But you’ll pay a premium for it.
|
| [...]
|
| With a 10-inch screen and spacious keyboard, the $699 mini-notebook sports
| the same exact design as its sibling Eee PC 1000H ($549). But the Eee PC 1000
| (note the lack of an H) isn’t just a copycat: its 40GB solid state drive—the
| biggest SSD in a mini-notebook to date—and ASUS’ customized version of
| Xandros Linux (now with more preloaded applications) make it faster and
| longer lasting. We just wish it cost a bit less.
`----

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1000-linux.aspx

Days ago:

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/more_evidence_microsoft_tying_up_the_asus_eeepc

Recent:

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

| An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
| manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
| some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12/microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Microsoft sees slide in profits