[News] Free Software Can Enter the Living Room

Open Source and the Digital Living Room

,----[ Quote ]
| At OSCON, Born talked about how embedded Linux devices will bring open source
| to set-top boxes. He also showed how applications can be built for Neuros
| OSD, a programmable digital video recorder.

OpenRemote grows in popularity

,----[ Quote ]
| Fleury continues to stress that what makes OpenRemote different from other
| home automation systems you may have seen is that it focuses solely on the
| software aspect of things. To help users who want to use the OpenRemote
| system in their own home, he and the community at OpenRemote have published a
| Bill of Materials and many other references to assist in the design,
| construction and implementation process.

Red Hat extends Linux Automation Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Dynamically allocating resources and providing efficient user access to
| systems and services as the IT landscape changes requires tightly integrated
| control systems. With Red Hat's management and security solutions spanning
| the operating system, virtualization, grid frameworks, middleware and SOA,
| Red Hat is rapidly advancing Linux automation

Home automation in GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Home Automation is anything that your home does for you automatically to make
| living there more enjoyable or productive. It covers many areas, including
| remote and timed control of lights and electrical home appliances,
| distributed media services, and communication. Over the last 10 years, many
| hardware manufacturers have presented their own proprietary solutions to
| these problems. Unbeknownst to them, a groundswell of developers from around
| the world has been providing similar solutions to the free and open source
| community.
| In this introductory article, I will carry out a high-level review of a
| number of these projects to see what is already available.

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
| [...]
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

Red Hat targets Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| CEO wants to grab half of server market

Home automation system gains Linux-based controller

,----[ Quote ]
| Control4 has added to its line of Linux-based, ZigBee-compatible home
| automation/media networking products with a new controller. The Control4 Home
| Controller HC-500 interfaces with home theater appliances, multi-room music
| access, lighting, thermostats, and security systems, and comes with a Linux
| software development kit (SDK).

Open source meets automation at Hannover

,----[ Quote ]
| The 21-member OSADL was modeled after the OSDL (Open Source Development
| Labs), which merged with the Free Standards Group (FSG), to form the Linux
| Foundation. What the OSDL/LF accomplished for Linux in general, the OSADL
| aims to do for Linux in automation.

Automation computer boasts six serial ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Advantech has extended its range of "embedded automation computers" with a
| system that offers Pentium M or Celeron M processing power and runs Linux.

Linux touchpanel automates homes, boardrooms

,----[ Quote ]
| Convergent Living used Linux to build a WiFi-capable automation controller
| aimed at letting users program HVAC and multimedia equipment in homes or
| offices. The handheld Companion Muse is one of several energy-efficient,
| Linux-based touchscreen controllers from Convergent, whose products range
| from kitchen computers to flatscreen TVs.

Industry group aims Linux at automation apps

,----[ Quote ]
| As the market for Linux in industrial automation grows, so do the activities
| of the Open Source Automation Development Lab.

Automation device maker taps commercial embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has announced another design win for its Linux distribution
| targeting consumer electronics devices. AMX, which sells high-end industrial
| and home automation systems used in the White House's War Room and elsewhere,
| will switch its "Modero" touchpanels to Platform for Consumer Devices, Linux
| Edition (PCD-LE).

Glaucus Linux Powered Automation Appliance

,----[ Quote ]