[News] Accounting Done on GNU/Linux

South African sister companies praise Linux-based accounting program

,----[ Quote ]
| Gospel Direct and Maranatha Record Co., sister companies based in South
| Africa, have exercised their faith in a Linux-based accounting program.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/142777

Recent:

OpenLX and KalCulate pair Linux distro with proprietary accounting app

,----[ Quote ]
| The India-based OpenLX distribution comes with the KalCulate accounting
| package (not to be confused with the Kalculate calculator). The application
| is closed source and proprietary, though bundled with a free-libre operating
| system. Therefore, KalCulate is clearly positioned on pricing and usage
| advantages, not on freedom. Bundled with OpenLX it costs 500 Indian rupees,
| or about $13, making it more affordable than similar software from large,
| monopolistic operators. This price gets you a two-month trial version of
| KalCulate; after that time, you must enter a license key.

| [...]
|
| OpenLX Edge 2.0 uses KDE 3.5 and has the option of GNOME or the lighter
| desktops. It was created to be a GNU/Linux suited for Indian language
| speakers, so OpenLX comes with the SCIM (Smart Common Input Method) utility
| installed even in KDE, which enables the use of many Indian languages, such
| as Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, and Telugu. Unfortunately, SCIM froze repeatedly on
| both the desktop and the laptop.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/138885

Related:

Punching the Clock with GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| At the bottom line, accounting and payroll solutions for GNU/Linux
| do exist. In cases where native solutions are not suitable,
| GNU/Linux users can still use hosted webservices to manage
| payroll. Since around 60% of the SMB relies on outsource
| payroll vendors, the key to helping these customers migrate
| to GNU/Linux will be for hardware manufactures and outsource
| payroll vendors to work together to make the software available
| and, beyond that, to promote it as another option for their
| customers. Meanwhile, businesses using or migrating to GNU/Linux
| will be best served working through webhosted services.
| Additionally, businesses also need to communicate with their
| accounting and payroll vendors that they expect GNU/Linux support.
`----

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/84833/

Accounting software has come a long way under Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past week, we've covered GnuCash, SQL-Ledger, Ledger,
| KMyMoney, and doing your accounting old-school style using free
| software spreadsheet applications. While it's clear that each
| method has its advantages and limitations, it's obvious that
| accounting under Linux is in much better shape than it was just
| a few years ago.
`----

http://specialreports.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/13/1648235&from=rss

Open source accounting sees new symbol