Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Lied Many Times About Windows Vista Sales

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:14:30 +0000
<10405066.WGyqOOF0RD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
> | licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
> | what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
> | licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
> | computers we are selling today."
> |
> | Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
> | steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
> | Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/29/vista-sales-really-windows-xp
>
> Well, Microsoft has historical records of cheating and deceiving everyone.
> Nothing has changed.

Hmm...wouldn't that come under some sort of fraudulent
misrepresentation?

Are they being deliberately stupid, accidentally stupid,
or just plain stupid? ;-)

> Related:
>
> Currys group blames Vista for poor sales
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
> | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/currys-group-blames-vista-for-poor-sales.html

And the poor economy because of our erstwhile President had absolutely
nothing to do with it?  :-)  Not that Vista helps all that much.
I'll admit I wonder whether it's 90%-10%, 50%-50%, or 10%-90%.

(This article is over 9 months old.)

> CompUSA to close all of its 103 stores
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The consumer electronics store will run store-closing sales during the
> | holidays to get rid of inventory.
> `----
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/07/technology/compusa.ap/index.htm?postversion=2007120719

Erm... http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/compusaStores/
is still functional, though apparently CompUSA is now
restricted to Florida, Illinois, North Carolina, Texas,
and Puerto Rico.

(This article is over 6 months old.)

> Dell casts doubts on Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
> | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
> | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
> | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
> | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
> | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
> | an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
> `----
>
> http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

An interesting question is how they will do that, considering
that July 1 was the XP cutoff date.

(This article is over a year old.)

> Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
> | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
> | visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
> | created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
> `----
>
> http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog

(This article is almost a year old.)

> Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
> | important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
> | the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo.
> `----
>
> http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

One wonders why the Chinese want to use Windows at all.

(This article is almost a year old.)

> Acer: PC industry 'disappointed' with Vista

> | Acer president Gianfranco Lanci became the first major PC manufacturer to
> | openly attack Microsoft over the Windows Vista operating system in the
> | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.
> |
> | Lanci said the operating system was riddled with problems and gave users and
> | businesses no reason to buy a new PC, according to the report. Taiwan-based
> | Acer is the world's fourth-largest PC manufacturer, after HP, Dell and
> | Lenovo.
> |
> | "The whole industry is disappointed with Windows Vista," Lanci said.
> `----
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Such a mild adjective. ;-)

(This article is a year old.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.