[News] [SOT] Towards "Everyone's a Criminal" Society

Who wants a music tax?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Should the music industry tax you to use the Web?" asked CNET. "Leave it to
| our friends across the pond to come up with a creative, tax-heavy way of
| punishing music downloaders," wrote Brian Heater at PC Magazine, who
| continued - "Culture Secretary Andy Burnham is proposing yearly fees of £20
| to £30, which would be imposed by ISPs."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/29/who_wants_a_music_tax/

Taxing hard-drives, taxing blank CDs, taxing everything that the criminals at
the RIAA decide they 'own'.

Almost every computer is connected, so this would become the equivalent of
government tax. It /makes/ RIAA 'the' government, privileged with a moneyflow
monopoly.

Release: Call for participation in the international action day “Freedom not
Fear”.

,----[ Quote ]
| Noting a drift toward a surveillance society where freedom of expression and
| information is threatened, officials of many organizations throughout the
| world call for an action day on October 11, 2008.
`----

http://www.odebi.org/new2/?p=481&langswitch_lang=en

Recent:

Japan to tax MP3 players

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a report in the Asahi Shimbun newspaper, Japan's Agency for
| Cultural Affairs wants to force MP3 player manufacturers to pay a royalty
| charge to copyright holders that may have lost out as a result of illegally
| recorded content.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05/07/ipod_tax_japan/

Microsoft May Build a Copyright Cop Into Every Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| If you like to download the latest episodes of “Heroes” or other NBC shows
| from BitTorrent, maybe you shouldn’t buy a Microsoft Zune to watch them on.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/microsoft-may-build-a-copyright-cop-into-every-zune/index.html?ref=technology

UK music industry pines for the good old days, seeks an iPod tax

,----[ Quote ]
| But that's different from what the UK's music industry is demanding. I
| happily pay Apple every time I download a song from iTunes. EMI and crew get
| a piece of that $.99 fee to cover their costs of discovering and marketing
| artists.
|
| What I'm not going to pay is for the right to move that song to my computer,
| or to my phone, or wherever, just as I never had to pay to move a song from
| vinyl to cassette tape. The music industry incurs no cost in that transfer,
| and offers me no help in facilitating it. Why should it get paid for that
| transfer?
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9924262-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Copyright cops demand Ipod tax

,----[ Quote ]
| British legal eagles have been trying to unshackle the UK from a law which
| makes a criminal out of you every time you copy one of your own CDs to your
| mp3 player for some time now, but the Music Business Group (MBG) says it
| won't support the change in legislation unless manufacturers impose the tax.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/17/ippod-tax

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Music industry meeting could change the Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice present for Microsoft's entertainment
| business, told me today that the meeting was set up as part of the
| deal struck between Microsoft and music business honchos, who are
| always wary of piracy... The meeting was supposed to take place "some
| time after the holidays," he said. It also talks about the future
| of the zune.
`----

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/01/music_industry_meeting_could_change_the_zune.html
http://tinyurl.com/y7z5wl

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

,----[ Quote ]