[News] VIA Looks to Gain from Linux Affinity

VIA takes two open source steps forward

,----[ Quote ]
| VIA may soon have a lot more to gain from supporting Linux and open source
| software, and the company now seems to be recognizing this.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/07/28/via-takes-two-open-source-steps-forward/

Recent:

VIA Publishes Three Programming Guides

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week we shared that VIA had appointed an open-source liaison to
| work on providing the community with documentation and source-code for their
| products and work to improve VIA's image within the Linux and open-source
| communities. Since VIA announced their open-source strategy earlier this
| year, all they had provided was a simple kernel frame-buffer driver. However,
| VIA has now made available three programming guides that cover their PadLock,
| CX700, and VX800/820 products. In total these three documents amount to about
| 800 (PDF) pages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYyMg

VIA getting serious about open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| VIA just announced they they will be contracting Harald Welte to be their
| open source liaison. Welte will be tasked with “helping refine VIA’s Open
| Source strategy to optimize its support for Linux across all the components
| of its x86 processor platforms”. He will also, more importantly, help develop
| drivers for VIA hardware and improve documentation. Welte is the founder of
| gpl-violations.org and has worked on the OpenMoko project.
`----

http://www.geek.com/via-getting-serious-about-open-source-20080724/

VIA Gives 16,434 Lines Of OSS Code

,----[ Quote ]