Re: ASUS Loses by Surrendering to Microsoft Pressure

On Jul 28, 10:47 pm, Rick <n...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:24:31 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:20:36 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

> >> Actually, Microsoft's pressure back-fired.  When Microsoft first tried
> >> to get XP Home edition for the EEE to store shelves, they expected 60%
> >> of the sales to be Windows versions, and 40% to be Vista versions.

> > Which is why BestBuy, at last check, no longer carries the Linux
> > version

> > You Linux loons need to exit the Holodeck once in a while and come out
> > into the real world.....

> Well, that's a shame. I guess when I get around to buying my next laptop,
> I won't be getting it from Best Buy.

Does ANYBODY still buy computers at Best Buy?  Seriously, if you're
going to spend $700 to 1400 on a computer, why settle for the machine
with the 5400 RPM SATA drive, the low res display, and Vista Home
edition.

If you're serious about buying a computer, you go to Best Buy to see
what it looks like, then you go to the Dell, HP, Acer, or Lenovo Web
Site and order what you REALLY want, including WSXGA display, 2 gig of
RAM, and 7200 RPM SATA-II drive.  And while you're at it, you can pick
up the XP installation media and a full replacement plan.

Is it any wonder that Best Buy shelves have lots of "holes" where
unsold inventory is not being restocked (they lost their shirts trying
to dump the initial shipment).  These days, Best Buy computer
departments are just plain depressing.  The Vista shelves are locked
and about 50% empty.  Seems that a few people tried to upgrade their
home machines, and hated Vista so much that Best Buy decided not to
pay more interest on Junk inventory.

Ironically, even with Geek Squad on-site, they don't seem to be able
to install Linux for you.  Seems there is something in their agreement
with Microsoft that prevents this.

At least J&R will sell you what you really want, and doesn't try to
exclude legitimate competitors.