[News] Old-school Media Recruits Governments and Telecoms to Fight Losing Battle

  • Subject: [News] Old-school Media Recruits Governments and Telecoms to Fight Losing Battle
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:33:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

One Strike and They Miss the Point

,----[ Quote ]
| Understandably, there has been plenty of sound and fury since the unveiling
| of the “Government-brokered deal on P2P“ that aims to “tackle” illegal
| file-sharing. On the one hand, it's significant – and regrettable – that the
| six ISPs have been forced to come to a special arrangement with a particular
| industry, giving it preferential treatment above all others, in the absence
| of any logic why that is necessary. It's also deeply worrying that the music
| industries get to decide who is guilty, without judicial oversight or the
| possibility of appeal, and the ISPs are obliged to act on their say-so.
|
| [...]
|
| The agreement is purely about P2P, since this is the only area that ISPs can
| address. But P2P is simply a technology. The real problem for the content
| industries is not some cold, abstract technology, but a warm, human virtue:
| the urge to share. Making it harder to do that over the Internet will not
| stop it: it will simply shift to a different medium – one that is not
| susceptible to monitoring.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1072&blogid=14

Recent:

ACTA Slouches Towards Bethlehem

,----[ Quote ]
| The extremely pernicious Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) continues
| to move forward. Here's what the anachronistic back-slapping club known as
| the G8 has to say on the subject:
|
|     We encourage the acceleration of negotiations to establish a new
|     international legal framework, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
|     (ACTA), and seek to complete the negotiation by the end of this year.
|
| Remember, this is an agreement that has been drawn up behind closed doors,
| with input from the industries that depend on intellectual monopolies, and
| zero input from the rest of us. Democracy? Who needs it?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/07/acta-slouches-towards-bethlehem.html

Digital copyright: it's all wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| The ACTA draft is a scary document. If a treaty based on its provisions were
| adopted, it would enable any border guard, in any treaty country, to check
| any electronic device for any content that they suspect infringes copyright
| laws. They need no proof, only suspicion.
|
| They would be able to seize any device - laptop, iPod, DVD recorder, mobile
| phone, etc - and confiscate it or destroy anything on it, merely on
| suspicion. On the spot, no lawyers, no right of appeal, no nothing.
`----

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/technology/digital-copyright-its-all-wrong/2008/06/09/1212863783566.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
http://tinyurl.com/6ylvpx

Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Criticism from NGOs
|
| Canadian law expert David Fewer, staff counsel at the University of Ottawa’s
| Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, told the Ottawa Citizen
| that the discussion paper was very close to a potential Christmas wish-list
| by Hollywood companies.
|
| Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), in an earlier statement filed to USTR,
| warned against a lack in differentiation and clearness of core terms, like
| counterfeiting, infringement or piracy. “Is Microsoft a “pirate” for
| insisting on the right to continue to infringe the z4 patents in order to use
| an infringing DRM technology to protect Microsoft software itself from
| infringement by unauthorised uses?” KEI asked in its statement.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071

Microsoft could force your mobile into silence

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is developing a new technology that could force mobiles into silent
| mode, or even prevent calls from being made.
|
| [...]
|
| Phone jammers, which work in small spaces, are banned in the UK and come with
| a hefty fine for use.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/microsoft-could-force-your-mobile-into-silence-393006

Website accusing of corruption, more dangerous than a mass murder?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/06/18/07/32/31-website-accusing-of-corruption-m