[News] Linux' Freedom of Choice Targets Broader Audience

Linus Torvalds on Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| The freedom of choice that the plethora of Linux distributions offer pretty
| much guarantees that Linux users will always be able to choose a distribution
| that suits them best. It's clear that for a sizable number of Linux uses that
| choice will be a Linux distribution like Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware.
`----

http://news.oreilly.com/2008/07/linux-torvalds-on-linux-distri.html

Recent:

Compromising to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s been nearly a year now since I have worked with my students.  I will
| begin a open source project with a couple of my bright students.  Without a
| doubt, we will use Ubuntu for our servers (though I may opt to switch them to
| Debian for more stability).  It is a compromise I am making on my part.  I
| will install Ubuntu 8.04.1 on my Thinkpad T60.  I will keep Arch Linux on my
| desktop, possibly evening replacing it wil Debian Lenny Beta.
|
| Ubuntu is what they want.  I will give it to them.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/?p=773

Related:

Distros Don’t Drive Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of press and people focus on Linux distributions when they check out
| what happens in Linux land. This and that distro come in new releases and
| they offer this and that brand new feature. This is also true of the many
| linux podcasts. They give credit to distros for new things that pop up.
`----

http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2007/10/28/distros-dont-drive-development/

More distros = more choice

,----[ Quote ]