[News] Atheros Recommended After Taking Drivers Open Source

Not sure what to buy for Wireless? Buy Atheros

,----[ Quote ]
| Atheros has now stepped up to the plate and delivered a home run on
| Open-Licensed support for their wireless drivers, and not just any any
| wireless drivers. The code for their latest 802.11n cards is already online :
| http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
|
| According to Mad Wifi, Atheros has hired Luis Rodriguez and Jouni Malinen,
| who are going to continue to work on the driver. That means this release
| isn't a simple code dump to look good on paper. Nor is the release
| semi-opened up, it's under the ISC License, which is what the radically
| open-licensed OpenBSD developers are using.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/07/not-sure-what-to-buy-for-wireless-buy.html

Yesterday:

Atheros Releases Free Linux Driver For Its 802.11n Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Atheros has released a shiny new Atheros driver for all their 11n devices
| aimed for inclusion in the Linux kernel. This new driver has no proprietary
| HAL and is licensed under the ISC license, so the BSD community should be
| able to benefit as well. Note: no firmware required!
`----

http://mobile.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/26/2138228

Atheros Releases 802.11n Linux Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| Last September we reported that MadWiFi was abandoning their proprietary HAL
| and really the driver itself for that matter. The developers behind the
| popular MadWiFi Linux driver were ceasing work on it in favor of starting up
| a new driver called ath5k using OpenHAL. Two of the key developers were also
| hired by Atheros, the wireless chipset company itself. Through these recent
| improvements, Atheros has went from a company being criticized for their lack
| of Linux support to one with impecable possibilities.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYyMw

Recent:

Linux WiFi array certified FIPS 140-2