[News] MugabeSoft Wanted to Assault a Project It Now Pays (to Ruin)

Microsoft's 2002 Plan to Sue Apache

,----[ Quote ]
| And then I got stuck with keeping the secret of Microsoft's plans to bring
| suit against Open Source developers, for years. All of that time, I felt that
| I was being disloyal to my own community. This finally came out after I was
| long gone from HP.
|
| Microsoft backed SCO's lawsuit after releasing this information to HP.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/7/25/46613

Time for the EC to seriously consider that embargo. Microsoft cheats, bullies,
and steals.

Old:

HP memo forecasts MS patent attacks on free software

,----[ Quote ]
| The memo -- its full text is provided later in the story, along with HP's
| response -- briefly explains a patent cross-licensing deal between HP and
| Microsoft. By itself, that's not a big deal, especially since it was sent two
| years ago. But the memo asserts that "Microsoft will soon be launching a
| patent-based legal offensive against Linux and other free software projects."
| Leaders in the open source community have been warning of such attacks for
| some time. The memo reveals there may be very good reason for the worry.
`----

http://www.linux.com/articles/37584

Another junk patent on abstract and obvious things:

Microsoft's Decade-old Patent On Tree-view Mode!

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember the Tree-View mode in many file management applications? It's
| shocking to know that this omnipresent feature was patented by Microsoft back
| in 1995 (granted in 1997). I'm not very sure about the implications, though.
| The patent is so general that it can be related to many things from tree-mode
| to virtual filesystems. Check out claim no. 3 of the patent for the most
| clear part.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/26/1533200&from=rss

Yesterday:

Microsoft and Apache

,----[ Quote ]
| It all sounds good. But Apache is no threat to Microsoft, their projects run
| on Microsoft systems and their license doesn't prevent "embrace and enhance".
| Linux, GNU, OpenOffice, those are more of a threat. This is, obviously, a
| strategic move by Microsoft. I'm trying to convince myself that we
| didn't "get owned".
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/7/25/46596

Related:

The Goldfarb Declaration - Updated: MS Statement

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween10.html