[News] Dell Decorates GNU/Linux by Tainting It a Little

How Dell is making Ubuntu more attractive

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of these improvements rely on proprietary software. If that doesn't
| bother you, you'll find that Dell's Ubuntu-equipped systems offer superior
| out-of-the-box experience either to other systems with pre-installed Ubuntu
| or do it yourself Ubuntu installations.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/how_dell_is_making_ubuntu_more_attractive

Yes, but you've already paid Microsoft et al for licences to execute useless
binaries. Dell should also offer Open PCs. It's simple. just strip off the O/S
and take down the Fleundo/LinDVD price tag (shi*tware tax).

It'll be the same when Dell announces its Linux netbooks next month (probably
in LinuxWorld) and Dell only stocks Intel chips, having received
multi-billion-dollar bribes to avoid AMD.

Recent:

Evidence mounts for August Eee PC carnage with $299 Dell E launch

,----[ Quote ]
| For that price, assuming everything we've heard so far is correct, you'll get
| an instant-on Linux distro running atop Intel's 1.6GHz Atom processor, a
| 1,024 x 600 display, 3x USB, a wee SSD, integrated webcam, WiFi, and more in
| a 0.82-1.22-inch thick sled weighing about 2.2-pounds.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/evidence-mounts-for-august-eee-pc-carnage-with-299-dell-e-launc/
http://tinyurl.com/5n7zef

Dell said to be planning launch of low-cost notebook in August

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is planning to introduce a low-cost notebook in August to join the
| low-cost notebook market, according to the market sources. The notebook will
| be manufactured by Compal Electronics, according to the sources.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080714PD219.html

Related:

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo