Re: [News] Medical Knowledge Set Free

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:21:57 +0000
<1968633.5rBIFCxWBy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Doctors, PHDs to edit new Wikipedia of medical information
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A project launched Wednesday aims to create what is in essence a medical
> | Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia focused on explaining conditions, drugs,
> | procedures, medial facilities and other medical topics written by physicians
> | and PhDs.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1238485857;fp;16;fpid;1
>

> Related:
>
> Now You Can Read What Doctors See
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | John Willinsky, Open Medicine's volunteer publisher and an open access
> | expert at the University of British Columbia, argues access to
> | knowledge shouldn't cost the public a dime.
> `----
>
> http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2007/04/18/OpenMed/

Pedant Point: 1 dime retail = about 1 GB of data, at least for me.
The calculation is rather simple:

payment in $/month * 1 GB / (bandwidth in kB/s * 86400 s/day * 30 day/month)
= cost of 1 GB of data

or one can use:

amount desired, in $ * bandwidth in kB/s * 86400 s/day * 30 day/month
/ payment in $/month = amount of data one can get, in kB

If one's lucky, one can use "free" Wi-Fi, though one might
then have to comb through the yearly city or county budget
to find the cost.

A lot cheaper than some options; ISO in particular wants me
to pay 126 Swiss Francs (about $121.52) for an official copy
of at least one of their specs.  For example, ISO8601:

http://www.iso.org/iso/search.htm?qt=8601&searchSubmit=Search&sort=rel&type=simple&published=on

I doubt ISO8601 runs 1.2 TB in length.

Fortunately, there's a lot of free information, of varying
utility and "normativeness" [*], at

http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Reference/Standards/Individual_Standards/ISO/ISO_8601/

But I digress.

Pedant Point #2:  "Big Pharm" (not to be confused with
the identity theft technique of pharming) might have some
interesting additions to put into this Wiki.

> Push for open access to research
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Cancer patients seeking information on new treatments or parents
> | searching for the latest on childhood development issues were often
> | denied access to the research they indirectly fund through their
> | taxes"
> `----

[*] in the World Wide Web Consortium and RFC's, a normative section
    is a section that is part of a specification and is required
    for compliance.  An informative section is not required for
    compliance but may help in understanding.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.