[News] Linux Desktop Reduces Clutter with Folder View, Full-screen Apps

Folder View becomes smarter

,----[ Quote ]
| After some hacking I have got a nice requested feature for the folder view
| containment. Mime type filter support. I took some screenshots so you can
| have a look yourself.
`----

http://www.ereslibre.es/?p=111

Writing Without Distractions in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The best way to write or compose something important using a computer is to
| do it without any distraction. But how is it possible to concentrate if your
| email notification keeps on popping, your Twitter updates are flashing, and
| you are always tempted to open your RSS reader? What’s my solution? I use a
| distraction free writer. -- A full-screen writing environment minus the
| desktop clutter. No distractions, no buttons, menus, and formatting; Just me
| and my text.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/writing-without-distractions-in-linux.html

Recent:

Using the Desktop…why?

,----[ Quote ]
| In Openbox, I’d need an extra program just to add icons to the desktop, but I
| don’t. I don’t have a “QuickLaunch bar” either. Why should I? I have the
| menu, and maybe ten keyboard combinations that open my favorite applications.
| I have a panel at the bottom, but I noticed I don’t use it to navigate
| between my open windows…it’s only there so I know what applications I’ve
| already opened.
|
| [...]
|
| There’s another problem with using the desktop as a place where you store
| files: every time you open a program (as computer users tend to do
| sometimes), you hide them all. I guess that’s why the “Show Desktop” function
| was invented…so you can open even more windows, which will instantly hide
| your icons again.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2008/07/07/using-the-desktopwhy/

no more desktop icons in 4.1