[News] Nokia Fails to Steal Developers from Linux

Going Open Source Not Enough To Attract Non-Paid Developers To Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| Company blog Nokia Conversations has a piece indicating that it may not be
| that simple. The post quotes Nokia developer Janne Jalkanen (who apparently
| didn't realise it was an interview and described his comments as a rant)
| saying: "I doubt that open sourcing Symbian is going to help in the community
| building though. There are two kinds of OSS developers: the guys who do
| things for fun, and the guys who do OSS because they are paid to do so. In
| order for an open source project to really flourish and take over the world,
| you need both...The problem with Symbian is that very, very few people touch
| it for fun." This is a personal view, not the official company line. (via El
| Reg)
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/23/AR2008072302952.html

Open Source Is Not The Only Answer....

,----[ Quote ]
| "The problem with Symbian is that very, very few people touch it for fun. So
| I believe that while we can open source it, it is going to be very difficult
| to get people participate out of their own free will, unless we are prepared
| to make very serious refactorings to the entire system.
`----

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/7712_Open_Source_Is_Not_The_Only_An.php

It's like another Sun, trying to 'outLinux' Linux with their own licences and
control. Miro-soft too seeks free labour as such.

Recent:

Nokia looks beyond Symbian to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With a 47.9 percent stake in Symbian, the leading mobile platform that it
| co-founded in 1998 and which today powers some 206 million mobile phones,
| Nokia has long championed it at the expense of rival platforms such as Linux.
|
| No longer.
|
| The mobile-phone maker is increasingly selecting Linux for Internet-enabled
| mobile devices, with its CFO declaring of Linux, "It's going to be terribly
| important."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9949262-7.html

Symbian extends collaboration offer to Google, possibly Android

,----[ Quote ]
| "We already work together and so whatever collaboration, if there is an
| opportunity, we will be happy to collaborate with them," Symbian chief
| executive Nigel Clifford told reporters in Tokyo. "And that could be on the
| application level or that could be on the more fundamental operating system
| level."
`----

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/16/symbian-extends-collaboration-offer-to-google-possibly-android.html

Nokia and the battle for open source's soul

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itvoir.com/portal/boxx/modules/blogs/Blog-Detail.asp?BlogID=1888