[News] [Rival]] Fix to Data Corruption in Microsoft Windows Arrives One Year Late

  • Subject: [News] [Rival]] Fix to Data Corruption in Microsoft Windows Arrives One Year Late
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:59:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Releases Windows Home Server Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft last month sent out a patched release candidate of PP1 after users
| encountered file corruption problems. Monday's full release "resolves the
| data corruption issue that was reported by a few users," Sider said.

So how much data have people lost in one year? Some people won't realise that
they experienced silent data loss... until later.

Windows: when your data is worth losing. Don't sleep well at night.

Related:

Microsoft needs Windows Home Server test dummies

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is looking for Windows Home Server guinea pigs to test a public
| beta of a patch to a major corruption bug that has blighted the product since
| late last year.
|
| The bug, which corrupts data on a number of well-known Microsoft and
| third-party apps when the programs are used to edit or transfer files in the
| firm’s latest server operating system for the low-end, home user market,
| first reared its ugly head in December.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/05/23/windows_home_server_public_beta/

Microsoft admits big delay on Home Server bug fix

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that it will not deliver a fix to a Windows Home
| Server data corruption bug it first discovered late last year until June at
|                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the earliest.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/11/microsoft_windows_home_server_bug/

Microsoft Pulls Windows Home Server Backup Feature

,----[ Quote ]
| The We Got Served blog cited several messages on the Windows Home Server
| (WHS) support forum from Power Pack 1 beta testers who claimed server-wide
| backup had been ditched because of difficult-to-solve bugs.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146013/microsoft_pulls_windows_home_server_backup_feature.html

Stay Away from Home Server Day Care

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is fundamental in several ways. Data corruption or deletion
| occurs "when certain programs are used to edit or transfer files that are
| stored on a Windows Home Server-based computer that has more than one hard
| drive," according to the Microsoft support document. So, the problems are
| with file copying and data storage—both fundamental features—and occurring in
| the likeliest of scenarios: Multiple hard drives. Surely Microsoft must have
| known that the earliest adopters would be enthusiasts?
|
| Nine programs are associated with the data problems, seven of them from
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/server/stay_away_from_home_server_day_care.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Data Corruption Bug - List of Potential Applications Affected Grows

,----[ Quote ]
| In summary, Microsoft has reproduced the bug successfully with the following
| applications:
|
|     * Windows Vista Photo Gallery
|     * Windows Live Photo Gallery
|     * Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
|     * Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
|     * Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
|     * Microsoft Money 2007
|     * SyncToy 2.0 Beta
|     * Intuit QuickBooks
|     * uTorrent
|
| Home Server users have reported the issue occurring with the following list
| of applications:
|
|     * Photoshop Elements
|     * Zune Software
|     * Apple iTunes
|     * TagScanner
|     * Mozilla Thunderbird
|     * Adobe Lightroom
|     * Intuit QuickenMS Digital Image Library
|     * MP3BookHelper
|     * ACDSee
|     * WinAmp
|     * Windows Media Player 11
|     * Microsoft Office Excel
|     * Visual DataFlex
|
| So, to put this in perspective, the list of potential applications affected
| is growing.
`----

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/02/21/data-corruption-bug-list-of-potential-applications-affected-grows/

News Briefs: 1-17-08

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Home Server Anti-evangelism. Microsoft technical evangelist Volker
| Will is really unhappy about Windows Home Server. I'm a big fan of the
| product marketing, but Will's anti-endorsement has me wondering about getting
| a HP MediaSmart Server as planned.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/news_briefs_11708.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Windows Home Server bug corrupts files

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that the point of Windows Home Server is to allow you to store
| your media files, a bug in the storage process that could result in
| corrupted files is bound to get attention.
|
| Microsoft has issued a support document for the 13 or so (just
| kidding) people using Windows Home Server, the company's latest
| product for those attempting to build the digital home of the future.
| Apparently there's a flaw in the way Windows Home Server works with
| certain Microsoft applications, such as Windows Vista Photo Gallery,
| that could result in corrupted files if you use those applications to
| save files to the server. A list of the specific applications can be
| found in the support document.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9838093-37.html?tag=newsmap

Windows XP SP3 still officially AWOL, but can be found on BitTorrent,
Microsoft servers

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, in a low-key announcement on a support newsgroup, Microsoft said
|                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| it would delay the release of XP SP3 because of data corruption issues
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| between the updated operating system and its retail point-of-sale software.
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=intellectual_property_and_drm&articleId=9082098&taxonomyId=144&intsrc=kc_top

XP change corrupts data, hamstrings SP3 rollout

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft spokeswoman on Wednesday acknowledged that the same problems
| affected Dynamics RMS users running XP SP3.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9081438&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top

Welcome to the Ubuntu Home Server Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Home Server (UHS) will be an edition of the Ubuntu operating system
| which allows users to administer their home network.
`----

http://www.ubuntuhomeserver.org/

Who needs Windows Home Server with Linux around?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this a joke? I only recently started paying attention to Windows Home
| Server, since I tend to focus more on desktop operating systems and
| enterprise server systems. So I didn't realize until now that WHS is really
| just a vanilla file server.

Will bad backups doom Windows Home Server?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/4303

,----[ Quote ]
| In an entry on the Home Server blog, program manager Chris Sullivan
| said that the group has received nearly 2,400 bug reports so far from
| beta testers, and still had 495, or about 21% of the total, classified
| as "active."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9014183&intsrc=news_ts_head

Will Windows Home Server be Microsoft’s next flop?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you buy-off on the theory that the world seems to be heading in the
| opposite direction that Microsoft wants to lead it, then you can’t help but
| wonder what the long term prospects for an offering like Windows Home Server
| are. Not good, if you ask me.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=791

HP offers Linux home server

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has unveiled a Linux-based home media server at half the price of its
| Microsoft-based MediaSmart model.
`----

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2214568/hp-offer-linux-home-server

HP Media Vault 2100 Linux Server Reviewed: One Kick-Ass Little Penguin

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/373711/hp-media-vault-2100-linux-server-reviewed-one-kick+ass-little-penguin