[News] Microsoft Sponsors, Invades O'Reilly's Fluffy-sourcy Event

OSCON, Pt. 2.1: Participate 08 (Sponsored By ... Microsoft?)

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's rewind a bit. My Monday afternoon at OSCON 2008 was taken up
| by "Participate 08", a Microsoft-sponsored discussion panel chaired by a
| whole panopoly of folks -- including, yes, an open source liaison from
| Microsoft. The whole thing was neither a "corporate apologia" (as one wag put
| it from the audience) nor a pile-on where Microsoft got the worst of it.
| Their approach was only one of a diversity of perspectives, and sometimes not
| even the most eyebrow-raising.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/oscon_pt_21_par.html

Panel discusses openness at OSCON

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly enough, the topic Lakhani predicted would elicit the most
| debate -- intellectual property -- provided well-balanced, reasoned
| discussion.
|
| All panelists agreed that IP was important in open source software. As
| Randall pointed out, if the framework of software licensing created to serve
| the proprietary software industry did not exist, then the GPL would not exist
| either. O'Mahony added that many nonprofit entities use IP law to accumulate,
| integrate, and protect information that is vital for future development.
|
| Urlocker described MySQL's frustration with software patents, including
| waffling on behalf of hybrid proprietary/open source companies, and fear on
| the part of pure open source organizations that lacked the resources to wage
| a legal fight over software patents.
|
| Wilbanks lamented use of the blanket term "intellectual property" to conflate
| copyright, patent, trademark, and trade secret law -- concepts that have
| little to do with one another. Copyright law is incredibly powerful, written
| to serve publishers, and hinges on one fundamental: the right to sue someone
| else. Under these circumstances, he said, "we're boned." In the future, he
| hoped, open source can make better use of trademark concepts like branding --
| where the fundamental issue is the right to associate your work with
| something valuable. When the desire to claim association with a brand
| like "open source" is of bigger concern than the desire to sue, the
| conditions will be right for open source to thrive.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/142624

Microsoft at OSCON

,----[ Quote ]
| One skeptic remarked to me after the panel session that for Microsoft this is
| just a "photo op." That is, it's more about the appearances than anything
| else. I'm not sure whether that's the case or not, but it's still a question
| in many people's minds. And as Brad Kuhn of the Software Freedom Law Center
| pointed out, many people still remember when Microsoft was trying to kill
| open source.
|
| The irony of all this is that I think Microsoft is at risk of missing out on
| the next generation of developers. What's in use at the hot startups these
| days? Hint: it's not about VB, C# and .Net. Even startups by ex-Microsoft
| folks at companies like iLike are using the LAMP stack. I think for a lot of
| developers, Microsoft is less and less relevant. Which is a shame.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/07/microsoft_at_os.html

More erosion of trust in OSCON and O'Reilly.

Related (last year):

My Tongue-Lashing from Eben Moglen

,----[ Quote ]
| He made a strong statement about why the Free Software Foundation ultimately
| chose not to close the "SaaS loophole" in GPLv3...
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/my_tonguelashin.html

Open Source and Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Moglen came out swinging, tossing out verbal jabs at the notion of Web 2.0
| and the apolitical notions of open source. Moglen asserted that he was being
| grumpy this morning because certain people had left the free software
| movement early to make money and left the free software folks to do all of
| the heavy lifting.
|
| [...]
|
| Moglen emphasized that Web 2.0 is nothing new under the sun, that the
| questions that O'Reilly was posing were coming up 10 years ago, and that the
| GPL v2 gave people like O'Reilly enough time, 10 years, to go off and make
| their millions and enjoy the fruits of free software's labors. And, Moglen
| added, the FSF, by releasing the GPL v3, just gave software vendors another
| 10 years to grow up and figure out what was really important and get freedom
| back into the conversation.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070724-115717.html

GPL author: Google must share code

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies like Google that build their business on software such as
| Linux have a moral imperative to contribute back to the free
| software community, a prominent open source advocate said Tuesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/052307-gpl-author-google-must-share.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2x5dvf

Pendulum has swung in the open source debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Once upon a time, the term "open source" was coined to save the free-software
| world from itself--or, rather, from the free-software zealots, as you can
| read on the Open Source Initiative's Web site.
|
| Today, I can't help but feel that the pendulum has swung in the opposite
| direction, where we're so self-satisfied with the money we're making off open
| source that we have neglected the essential freedoms that make open-source
| profit possible.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9752966-7.html

Open Source is no Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| It is time we stop the term open source from getting hijacked. I recently
| wrote about how tech media doesn’t get open source. The events in the last
| week or so have confirmed my thesis further.
|
| [...]
|
| It is time for saner elements in the open source world to wake up and stop
| the abuse of the term open source by the tech media and companies like
| Microsoft. If we don’t do it now, the only other alternative is the free
| software movement and the business community may not be able to leverage the
| freedom offered by the free software then.
`----

http://www.krishworld.com/blog/open-source/open-source-is-no-web-20

Cries for help go out as open source mogul's radar breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| That very speech served as O'Reilly's attempt to make up for his evisceration
| as the hands of Free Software Foundation attorney Eben Moglen. One day
| earlier, Moglen charged O'Reilly with wasting too much time on hem lines,
| haircuts and the latest fluffy Web 2.0 start-up that looks like it might be
| acquired for a ridiculous amount of cash. O'Reilly had no counter on the
| actual day of Moglen's attack, but thought about the issues overnight.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/28/oscon_oreilly_radar/

Eben Moglen challenges Tim O'Reilly to "join the conversation"

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118201