[News] Broad Collaboration the Key to Free Software Success

Want Your Project to Succeed? Build a Strong Community

,----[ Quote ]
| There are three parts to a successful open-source project: First, there has
| to be software. The software doesn't need to be great, but it needs to show
| some promise, solving a real problem that people have. Secondly, it needs to
| have an open-source license that encourages participation. There are several
| dozen sanctioned open-source licenses today, but the GNU General Public
| License and Berkeley license are two of the most common, because they are
| well understood and easy to understand.
|
| A third critical component -- and in some ways, the most important of the
| three -- is the community. This is where things can get tricky; managing a
| large community can be difficult, both technically and socially. Encouraging
| newcomers to take part in the community, helping others or working on the
| software, takes a great deal of time, and exposes you to the (strong)
| feelings that other community members may have.
`----

http://ostatic.com/169402-blog/want-your-project-to-succeed-build-a-strong-community
http://tinyurl.com/59aynq

Collaboration here too (not really 'open source' though):

Solving global warming the open source way

,----[ Quote ]
| An effort to rapidly reverse global warming is leveraging the collaborative
| methods of Linux and other open source software. Cquestrate aims to develop a
| cost-effective, “open” way to produce and introduce lime into the sea, where
| it will efficiently sequester dissolved CO2.
|
| Cquestrate, the brain-child of U.K. management consultant Tim Kruger,
| launched its website on July 21. Kruger claims the CO2 sequestration
| concept “has the potential to reduce the concentration of carbon dioxide in
| the atmosphere to pre-industrial levels.”
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/07/22/solving-global-warming-the-open-source-way/

Recent:

The Open Source Paradigm

,----[ Quote ]
| Having played a lot with the Linux OS, I realized off late that, there is
| always an underlying fear of messing up with something we’re not sure of!
| This fear might just let you stray away from the very act of trying things
| differently or trying different things, for that matter. Here comes the role
| of Open Source protocol, which if you remember emphasizes on working in
| collaboration and sharing knowledge with fellow Linux or Open Source Software
| users.
`----

http://brajeshwar.com/2008/the-open-source-paradigm/

Related: