[News] P2P is Acceptable, MSBBC Promises GNU/Linux Support (Again)

The Acceptable Face of P2P

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite attempts to demonise P2P, the technology is thriving. And no wonder:
| it's such an efficient way of sharing bits. Good, then, to see
| some "official" development of the idea in the form of P2P-Next - funded in
| part by the EU - to apply P2P to live video streaming.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/07/acceptable-face-of-p2p.html

£11m P2P stream project starts public trial

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking about the project in February, George Wright, from BBC rapid
| development unit, said: "We're aiming to build Mac, Windows and GNU/Linux
| clients, as well as a dedicated hardware set top box client, to allow us to
| deliver the core technical goals: an open standards-based 'next-generation'
| internet television distribution system, using P2P and social interaction."
`----

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a113613/gbp11m-p2p-stream-project-starts-public-trial.html

Recent:

BBC set to name Erik Huggers as Ashley Highfield's successor

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC is expected to confirm that former Microsoft executive Erik Huggers
| is to replace Ashley Highfield as the new BBC director of future media and
| technology as early as today.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/15/bbc.digitalmedia?gusrc=rss&feed=media

Related:

BBC iPlayer protest report

| First on site with me is Tom Chance, Green Party spokesperson on Free
| Software. He has organized for Dr Derek Wall, lead spokesperson for the Green
| Party to join us and make some statements about BBC iPlayer and the Microsoft
| lock-in it establishes.
|
| [...]
|
| We have 1500 fliers to distribute, that focus on the key issue with the
| iPlayer, and why $130 Million and 4 years of development don't get you much
|                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| when you choose Microsoft DRM.
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/iPlayerProtestReport

BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]
| During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayer’s total cost to the licence
| fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure, but start
| the bidding at £20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives incorrect
| information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the same
| functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence at the
| end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP to follow up
| the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today discussing platform
| neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter has been passed to the
| Open Rights Group.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/01/10/bbc-director-general-grilled-by-mps-on-iplayer/

BBC website £36m 'overspend'

,----[ Quote ]
| THE BBC went almost £36 million over the intended budget for bbc.co.uk in the
| past year, it was disclosed today.
`----

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/technology/s/1051855_bbc_website_36m_overspend?rss=yes?rss=yes

The BBC Has Drunk its Brain

,----[ Quote ]
| Good to see the BBC with its finger on the pulse of computing, bravely
| serving up the facts without fear or favour here:
|
|     Microsoft's next operating system (OS) will come with multi-touch
|     features as an alternative to the mouse.
|
| Rather like the Hewlett-Packard touchscreen system I used back in the 1980s.
|
| [...]
|
| Is this a similar statement to 2003's "Bill Gates said that Longhorn will
| have a unified storage system called WinFS." found at
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3220017.stm
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/05/bbc-has-drunk-its-brain.html

Has the BBC Duped Us over iPlayer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Totally far-out, man. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY GNU/LINUX VERSION?
|
| I wonder how that complaint about the BBC providing state aid to Microsoft is
| coming along....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/has-bbc-duped-us-over-iplayer.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

BBC pinches hot new columnist from Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/14/bill_gates_bbc_secrets/

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.

BBC iPlayer Protests

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/iPlayerProtest