[News] USPTO to Start Killing Some Software Patents!!

The Death of Google's Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The Patent and Trademark Office has now made clear that its newly developed
| position on patentable subject matter will invalidate many and perhaps most
| software patents, including pioneering patent claims to such innovators as
| Google, Inc.
|
| [...]
|
| The logic of the PTO’s positions in Nuijten, Comiskey and Bilski has always
| threatened to destabilize whole fields of patenting, most especially in the
| field of software patents. If the PTO’s test is followed, the crucial
| question for the vitality of patents on computer implemented inventions is
| whether a general purpose computer qualifies as a “particular” machine within
| the meaning of the agency’s test. In two recent decisions announced after the
| oral arguments in the Bilski case, Ex parte Langemyr (May 28, 2008) and Ex
| parte Wasynczuk (June 2, 2008), the PTO Board of Patent Appeals and
| Interferences has now supplied an answer to that question: A general purpose
| computer is not a particular machine, and thus innovative software processes
| are unpatentable if they are tied only to a general purpose computer.
`----

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008/07/the-death-of-go.html

Yesterday:

Bar code patent invalidated, another notch on EFF's belt

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation announced another victory for its Patent
| Busting Project last Friday, this time against NeoMedia. The company received
| a comprehensive set of patents that covered information lookups via scanned
| input.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080720-bar-code-patent-invalidated-another-notch-on-effs-belt.html

Recent:

Ideas Are Everywhere... So Why Do We Limit Them?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080507/0114581051.shtml