Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:45:48 -0400
<o7vb6u99bx2e$.7hjsgsr9o1xe.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:49:07 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Google 'UK's top consumer brand'
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> earlier
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7516343.stm
>>>

>> Big stink'n deal. Microsoft *finally* lost the #1 spot one time and is
>> listed as being the #2 "superbrand" out there. It's hardly that Microsoft
>> hate and resentment you keep blabbering about.
>

> Where is Linux on the list?

Where should it be?  Linux is not a company, nor is it in
the top 500.  Even Ubuntu doesn't show up on this list;
nor does RedHat, Firefox, Debian, or SuSE, or for that
matter, Windows proper.

http://www.superbrands.uk.com/about/selectionProcess.php

For its part IBM hit #58, between Black & Decker and Nintendo;
Dell is at #63 sandwiched between London Eye and Hornby;
Hewlett-Packard is at #73 sandwiched between Thomas Cook
and Oxford University Press; Yahoo! is at #75 with Audi
just below it.

For some odd reason Wembley Stadium is at #87; I would
have thought it higher than that (though don't follow
European football).  Intel is at #99, between PG Tips and
Harvey Nichols.

Adobe has a minor problem; Flash, like Linux, is also
linked to a cleaning product.  Flash is #135 in the list;
Macromedia did not make the list, though Adobe comes in
at #278.  Roesch (the manufacturers of a washing powder
named Linux) also didn't make the list.

For its part AOL actually did make the list, barely;
it's at #466.

Apart from Google, the highest ranking brand that is
apparently related to Linux might be Sony (#10) or Lego
(#16), and both appear incidental; the PS3 is *not*
designed to run Linux (though there are suggestions one
can install Linux thereon), nor is Lego Mindstorm(tm),
though a HOWTO for the latter is available that suggests
the remote development environment usually runs on Windows,
and furthermore requires a file that is part of the MS
Windows installation CD.  But the erstwhile Mindstorm
hacker running on Linux should be able to do a few things.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Lego/index.html

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);