Re: [News] Dell Buys Binary Blobs for GNU/Linux PCs

* Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> Dell begins rolling out Ubuntu 8.04, adds media codecs
>
> So the infection begins:
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2008/06/07/ubuntu-remix-codecs/

   Mark Shuttleworth said,

   June 9, 2008 at 3:54 am

   Canonical has not licensed codes from Microsoft for work with
   OEMs on the netbook remix. However, we almost certainly WILL
   license codecs from any one of a number of sources - Real, Fluendo or
   others - so that users of Ubuntu can legally play content in as many
   formats as possible. Those codecs would be available alongside
   existing free software implementations for users to choose, and some
   OEMs may choose to bundle them on their devices.

   There is nothing in that which is a conspiracy, or bad for free
   software. We already have reasonable free codecs, like Ogg, but there
   is content out there which people have every right to access, and if
   they need to purchase codecs in order to do so legally in their
   country then we need to facilitate that. Of course, we also want to
   work to make sure that open codecs become more widely adopted, and we
   want to work against laws which are dumb enough to create artificial
   boundaries in an open, digital world. But we are not here to
   encourage people to BREAK existing law, nor are we here to to prevent
   people from exercising all of their options. We are stronger when we
   make good arguments for freedom, not when we impose particular
   behaviour.

And there's some mild back-n-forth.

--
I'll pretend to trust you if you'll pretend to trust me.