Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/technology/09petaflops.html?_r=1&ref=technology&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6115225.html?part=rss&tag=6115225&subj=news

>> Awesome news about te Cell. I wonder when the Cell will be available for
>> desktop usage? I long for the day when I could have a quad core Cell and
>> Linux on my desk.
>

> Maybe that's good for video editing/rendering. There's not much that
> requires so much power and can't be shifted to a server (controlled from
> the desktop/terminal). For gaming there's the PS3.

It just occurred to me... if IBM were to start selling Cell powered
desktops... it would usher in a new wave of hardware upgrades... the likes
of which you never saw before. Once Average Joe gets a taste of Cell and
Linux... the WINTEL group would begin to freeze in Hell... AMD too. Seem's
to me that IBM has an ace in the hole. The big question is, why and what
are they waiting for?

--

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx)