[News] Another Sign of Cracks in USPTO, Belgium Might Scrap Some Patents

U.S. Supreme Court ruling sets limits on patent royalties

,----[ Quote ]
| The justices unanimously said LG could not enforce its memory-technology
| patents against both Intel and the computer makers that install Intel's chips
| in their machines. The judges said LG's power to extract royalties
| was "exhausted" by its licensing agreement with Intel, of the United States.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/09/business/court.php

Belgium on the way to scrap patents in Flemish?

,----[ Quote ]
| The council of ministers in Belgium has decided last 23rd of May to proceed
| with the ratification of the London Agreement, in order to scrap the
| requirement for translations of patents granted in Belgium in Flemish.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-65825/belgium-on-the-way-to-scrap-patents-in-flemish

Recent:

Patent reform dead for 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The death of the Patent Reform Act in the Senate spells hard times for open
| source.
|
| That’s because one of the act’s main aims was to end “forum shopping,” the
| practice of filing lawsuits in, say, the Eastern District of Texas, which
| never saw a patent plaintiff it didn’t like.
|
| The act would have also streamlined reviews of patent claims and made some
| other important reforms. It wasn’t perfect, but it was better than nothing.
|
| [...]
|
| To me, the most effective form of patent reform was not on the table. That
| is, eliminate software patentability entirely. Copyright provides plenty of
| protection, and what you’re patenting, in the end, is math.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2435

A Eulogy For Patent Reform?

,----[ Quote ]