[News] Rebuttal to Recent GPL FUD

GPL: why can't a lawyer understand it?

,----[ Quote ]
| Walsh goes on to talk of "the irreconcilable conflict between open source
| software and its widespread use by for-profit companies." What conflict? Red
| Hat is selling open source software and always has and last I heard, they are
| starting to talk of the B word - billions. Free and open source software is
| issued under licensing terms which differ from those utilised by proprietary
| software companies and the license has nothing to do with the fact that the
| software can be sold.
|
| Let me say it plainly: free software can be sold. Yes, free software can be
| sold. There is no restriction on how much you can charge for services
| connected to free software. The word free refers to the rights granted to the
| user.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18669/1148/

Recent:

Law.com article spins old confusions into new "danger"

,----[ Quote ]
| Law.com recently ran a sensationalist piece by Edmund J. Walsh warning of the
| impending “dangerous real world business dispute” in store for any for-profit
| company that uses free software. Walsh points to lawsuits filed by SFLC on
| behalf BusyBox as a source of this danger, and having worked on those
| lawsuits, I hope I can provide a helpful counterpoint.
|
| [...]
|
| So why do they keep the code to themselves? We can speculate on the reasons—
| ignorance of their legal obligations, indifference owing to a history of
| non-enforcement, etc.—but it seems that in the overwhelming majority of
| cases, the decision has nothing to do with protecting a proprietary business
| model. Whether they license proprietary software or FOSS, for-profit
| companies should of course pay attention to their legal obligations. But so
| long as they do so, they need not fear any “irreconcilable conflict” between
| making money and using FOSS.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2008/jun/05/enforcement-lawsuits/

Related:

Is McAfee just asking for a lawsuit?

,----[ Quoet ]
| Eben Moglen and the troops at the Software Freedom Law Center may want to
| read the McAfee annual report more than once. Without this warning there’s a
| chance Eben may do a spit-take on his morning coffee.
|
| McAfee stock is down 20% in the last two months and, it seems, they’re just
| asking to be sued.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1864

McAfee throws some FUD at the GPL