[News] Profiles: Walter Bender, Pia Waugh, Fabio Marzocca

Walter Bender Discusses Sugar Labs Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| I can only speculate as to what was meant by the
| characterization “open-source fundamentalist”. I suppose it was said in the
| mistaken belief that I am more interested in advancing the cause of free and
| open-source software (FOSS) than improving the tools for learning. In terms
| of learning, I am steadfast in my belief that we need to be fostering the
| appropriation of knowledge, not just access to it. We should provide tools
| that skew the odds towards appropriation, without being proscriptive. For
| example, you could give a child a book as a PDF file or in a Wiki format. In
| both cases, the child can read the book. But the choice of representation
| does make a difference: the chances that the child will add a comment to a
| PDF file, which is read-only, are much less than to a Wiki page, which has
| built-in affordances for annotation.
`----

http://www.openeducation.net/2008/06/03/walter-bender-discusses-sugar-labs-foundation/

Portrait: Pia Waugh

,----[ Quote ]
| "Technology-wise I think we will see a lot more Web-centric projects, more
| collaboration tools, and the application of FOSS methodologies applied in new
| and interesting ways. I think we are seeing a huge wakeup from the
| mainstream, and people looking for something different, so we'll likely see
| more tools for non-technical end users. I believe the concept of the commons
| will permeate not only the ICT sector but many others, and this will
| hopefully have a profound impact on everything from research methodologies to
| education."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/137109

Open Source Developers: Fabio Marzocca

,----[ Quote ]
| Fabio Marzocca of the Baobab fame, is an Italian Ubuntu-developer with an
| amazing background, ranging from being a technical writer by an historic
| Italian magazine named Mc Microcomputer to developing a program for music
| composing, known as the Muzical Wizard.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/06/06/open-source-developers-fabio-marzocca/

Recent:

Linux start-up Sugar Labs in informal talks with four laptop makers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Linux_startup_Sugar_Labs_in_informal_talks_with_four_laptop_makers/1211467857
http://tinyurl.com/3ereo6