[News] Another Linux Laptop Rave Calls It Exciting

Ubuntu Netbook Remix: a detailed explanation

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
|
| In one word: exciting. This piece was written entirely using an EeePC running
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix. And, it’s going to stay that way. It works. It’s good.
| It’s getting better. The best item of news is that we can all expect
| sub-notebooks running Ubuntu Netbook Remix on them. (And yes, I will
| eventually give in and call them Netbooks… one day). Canonical is doing all
| of the right things, and it’s definitely giving a lot of sleepless nights to
| those CEOs who stubbornly ignored GNU/Linux up to now.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/ubuntu_netbook_remix_detailed_explanation

...Not to get /too/ excited yet. Shuttleworth 'licensed' some codecs from the
Vole.

Is Linux a Lonely Word?

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is Linux on these new classes of PCs seeing some success? Microsoft has
| created a whole new class of “Vista Orphans:” vendors who want to sell lower
| cost PCs and can’t afford the component costs required by Vista. Microsoft
| has responded by keeping “Coke Classic” around (Windows XP) as they see their
| market presence slipping in these new machines. And that’s really the key. As
| Glyn Moody says: “The price difference has been slight and there has always
| been the problem of learning new ways of working. The Asus Eee PC changes all
| that. Because the form factor is so different, people don’t seem to make
| direct comparisons with the desktop PC and so don’t expect the user
| experience to be the same.”
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/amanda/2008/06/06/is-linux-a-lonely-word/

Photos: Five of the best mini laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Another week, another ultra-mobile PC launch... Miniature laptops which pack
| enough power to keep you productive on the road yet have a convenient,
| travel-sized form factor are hot property right now. There's certainly no
| shortage of laptop manufacturers bringing out dinky offerings with dainty
| price-tags so business travellers on a hardware hunt are spoilt for choice.
`----

http://www.silicon.com/research/specialreports/travel/0,3800011481,39241253,00.htm

Recent:

Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market

,----[ Quote ]
| Elonex is taking orders for a sub-$200 Linux-based laptop aimed at the
| British educational market. Based on a 300MHz processor, the Elonex One
| includes WiFi, Ethernet, Flash storage, USB, and a 7-inch, 800 x 480
| detachable touch display.

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----