Re: Linux and Astronomy

> In article <r8koh5-ms5.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In terms of applied astronomy, though, I'd suggest that Linux is
>> probably taking the lead.  I understand that the Phoenix probe runs
>> Linux, as an example, as did the ultimately ill-fated Beagle2.  Applied
>
> The Phoenix lander is running VxWorks on a RAD6000.
>
> The Beagle2 lander did not really have an OS.  It had an Ada run-time
> system running on the bare hardware, and the software used that.  The
> control software and planning software on Earth was running on PCs
> running SuSE 8.  Details here:
>
>    <http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7460495111.html>

On the other hand, from that URL:

   The Mission Control Software and Mission Planning Software runs on
   PCs using the SuSE 8.0 distribution of Linux, at the Lander
   Operations Control Centre (LOCC) (National Space Centre, Leicester,
   UK) and the Lander Operations Planning Centre (LOPC) (Open
   University, Milton Keynes, UK).

   The Mission Control Software is a customization of ESA's
   [European Space Agency's] royalty-free SCOS [Spacecraft Control
   and Operations System] 2000 Mission Control System C++
   application framework.

--
If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would
all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG.