Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 06 June 2008 21:59 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 05 June 2008 22:10 : \____

> http://translate.google.se/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itkommissionen.se%2Fextra%2Fpage%2Findex4944.html&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sl=sv&tl=en

>>> ...A shame that evidence (smoking guns) were collected in many more
>>> countries.
>>>

>> I'm assuming you meant weren't, not were?
>
> Yes. Oops. I do USENET like I do IRC.
>
>> In which case, I agree with
>> you.  Still, several countries are now coming back on this.  Even if the
>> overall count is not overturned, the fact that, perhaps for the first
>> time in the history of ISO, so many countries have complained about the
>> process, is very much a victory for anti-corruption, for openness and
>> for real standards.  It's like CAMRA, only sort of CAMRS (cameras - the
>> campaign for real standards!).
>
> It turns out that ILUG was sending the NB tons of letters protesting against
> corruption before the appeal came from India. There are many people who read
> about the truth and react.
>
>> For the non-British out there, CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale,
>> an organisation formed in the 1970s in response to the massive
>> consolidation of what had been hundreds of independent breweries in the
>> UK into the "big 5", at the same time as the replacement of real beer
>> (the stuff which still has yeast in the barrel) with pasteurised, dead
>> "bright" beer.  The organisation was hugely successful, and has
>> continued to be so.  The UK, once again, has hundreds (over 400)
>> different beers brewed by a vast number of breweries - the only country
>> with more is Belgium.  Of course, there are far fewer Belgians that
>> Britons, so they have more beers/head, which is perhaps why they are
>> always so cheerful :-)  (In between beating the sh1t out of each other
>> for speaking the wrong language, of course).
>
> Are these two languages 'reconcilable' and 'interoperable' though? Unlike MOOX
> (Microsoft Office) and ODF?

Actually, not really, no.  The only place where they come together is in
modern english, which consists of elements of both french and OHG &
dutch/flemish.  Of course, English uses the old consonant set whereas
dutch has partially moved on and German uses the new ones.  You can see
it in several common words:

	Eng	Dut	Ger
	--------------------
	Day 	Dag 	Tag
	Do  	Dun 	Tun (to do, zu tun)
	Drink	Drinken Trinken

Which is why many bi-lingual Belgians also make excellent english speakers,
as they can call upon both their french and flemish vocabularies (good
french word!) in speaking english.

There continue to rage huge debates in Belgium about the rules for
french and flemish speakers - these are major parliamentary issues and
feelings run very high.

Having said all of that, Belgium remains a lovely country, with
excellent beer, good food and populated with linguistic artisans of high
order, who are usually very friendly to visitors unless you address them
in the wrong language :-)

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |