[News] Reviews of the New gNewSense and Ulteo Linux

gNewSense Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The system booted from the livecd fine, except that as usual, it dropped me
| in some horribly high resolution.
| Ubuntu does that too.
| Damn mildly powerful graphics cards and monitors! :P
|
|     That is to say: ALL MY HARDWARE WORKED.
|     (except graphics acceleration which I didn't want anyway)
|
| I decided to try some things that the average person might want to do:
| I fired up Epiphany, the default browser, the homepage was gnewsense.org, I
| decided to check that my sound card was working and so looked for an mp3 file
| I could use as a test.
`----

http://www.blog.tdobson.net/node/172

Running a GNU/Linux desktop on the web with Ulteo

,----[ Quote ]
| Ulteo is a brave, innovative, useful and interesting concept. It may be
| unique in terms of the feature mix but it is possible to put together
| individual packages to mimic them. For the power user who is familiar with
| protocols and the command line this is meat and drink but for the average
| user Ulteo packages them altogether in one easy GUI via a web browser. There
| is of course always a danger that in striving to be a jack of all trades you
| end up being the master of none but I think that Ulteo has done enough, even
| at this relatively early stage, to merit inclusion in every user’s toolkit. I
| will certainly be watching it with interest for future developments.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/running_remote_linux_desktop_web_ulteo

Recent:

Ulteo Virtual Desktop: Letting Linux Do Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| While Test Center reviewers with Linux knowledge didn't really see the
| usefulness of the application, others with limited familiarity were wowed by
| it. The biggest value of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is in letting newcomers to
| Linux get acquainted with it in a comfortable, Windows environment. All of
| the included applications are integrated seamlessly, with easy access to the
| Desktop and My Documents folders, as well as network connectivity. Similar to
| the KDE layout, the Ulteo Virtual Desktop's interface is easy to navigate and
| the included array of graphics viewers and editors, multimedia players,
| office-based programs, and utilities are intuitive to those unfamiliar with
| them. Mozilla's FireFox Web browser and ThunderBird mail client are the
| default, as is the Kopete IM client.
|
| Considering that this is not even a version 1 beta, we have high hopes for
| Ulteo Virtual Desktop. It allows Linux novices to dip their toes into the
| water without any fear, and lets Linux pros use their favorite applications
| when they are forced to be in a Windows environment.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/208400377

Run Native Linux Applications in Windows Vista - Via Ulteo Virtual Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Binaries tailored specifically to the open source Linux operating system can
| coexist on the same desktop with Windows Vista and Windows XP programs via
| Ulteo Virtual Desktop. Essentially, the
| promise of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is to deliver Linux applications on
| Windows via the Ulteo panel. The virtualized environment will permit end
| users to run native Linux solutions right on the Windows Vista desktop, and
| integration complete down to the level of sharing the Windows Aero graphical
| user interface.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Run-Native-Linux-Applications-in-Windows-Vista-86390.shtml

Flipping the Linux switch: Switching, literally, with Ulteo Virtual Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Like andLinux, Ulteo's Virtual Desktop (often referred to with the rather
| misfortunate name UlteoVD) runs off a coLinux base. There is no
| virtualization software involved. But we'd especially recommend UlteoVD for
| those pondering whether a Linux switch could work for them, for a number of
| reasons.We'd recommend UlteoVD first to people who are currently using or
| could see themselves using their previous services. Ulteo started by offering
| OpenOffice.org in a browser, coupled with syncing services. Nice, for sure.
| They then offered an installable Ulteo disk, which felt a lot like Ubuntu in
| many ways, with the noticeable difference of automatic updates (as in, no
| user interaction) and syncing with the browser based services.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/05/20/flipping-the-linux-switch-switching-literally-with-ulteo-virt/
http://tinyurl.com/46jn4x

Ulteo — My digital life made simple

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, after two years, there is a successive release of the Ulteo
| distribution. The purpose of the Beta1 Ulteo Application System is to feature
| what it can develop into in the nearest future, especially considering the
| Ulteo Online Desktop.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/ulteo/ulteo-my-digital-life-made-simple/

Ulteo Application System Beta 1 - the FOSSwire review

,----[ Quote ]
| Ulteo is no ordinary Linux distribution. It demonstrates incredible
| innovation.
|
| It is clear that in the future, we won’t use computers anything like we do
| now. More and more data will be moved away from specific client devices, like
| the PC, and be put on a server somewhere. It will be networks and
| infrastructure that then connect each client device to the data.
|
| Wherever you are, whatever device you’re using, you’ll be able to access your
| data and keep it fully synchronised with everything else.
|
| Ulteo doesn’t do all this yet, it’s not even close. But Ulteo takes an
| important step towards this goal, and demonstrates how this might be
| possible, perhaps giving a little window into what could happen in the
| future.
|
| It is an extremely promising proof of concept that this just might be able to
| work and I will continue to follow the Ulteo project with keen interest.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2008/03/28/ulteo-application-system-beta-1-the-fosswire-review/

gNewSense 2.0 (deltah) Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I still recommend it for anyone who wants a completely pure Linux version
| with the simplicity of Ubuntu. This can also be achieved by using Fedora,
| Debian, and Mandriva Free and not enabling any repositories containing
| non-free software. I’d recommend it to anyone who, as they say on LugRadio,
| Loves Freedom.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2008/05/09/gnewsense-20-deltah-review/

Ultra-free gNewSense 2.0 beta released

,----[ Quote ]
| Brian Brazil and the team behind the ultra-free gNewSense Linux distribution
| have released a beta of the forthcoming 2.0 (or Deltah) series. gNewSense is
| based on Ubuntu but strips the distribution of non-free components to provide
| users with a truly free operating system. gNewSense is backed by the Free
| Software Foundation.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2380

gNewSense 2.0 [Screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
| Less than a week after the release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron", the Free
| Software Foundation has gone ahead and released version 2.0 (named DeltaH) of
| gNewSense. For those not familiar with gNewSense, this is one of the few
| distributions certified by the Free Software Foundation as being a truly free
| Linux distribution. gNewSense 2.0 is essentially Ubuntu 8.04 LTS but with a
| few modifications to make it more free by removing some binary-only
| components. New in gNewSense 2.0 is also new artwork, switching the default
| web browser from Mozilla Firefox to Epiphany, Blag's deblob script in the
| kernel, and non-free GLX being removed from X.Org/Mesa. Here are a few
| screenshots from this latest release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gnewsense_2&num=1

gNewSense 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP, Pidgin, and OpenOffice are installed. Firefox is not (it's MPL, not
| GPL-licensed). If you either don't know the difference between the two or
| don't care, I understand. Epiphany is the default web browser.
|
| Aside from a few additions to the lineup (Emacs, GCC and the text-based BSD
| games package) pretty much everything else is the same default program setup
| as Ubuntu.
|
| I noticed a few holdovers in the Add/Remove programs menu that I was
| surprised by. There was a check box for NDISWrapper and the Nvidia drivers.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/gnewsense2.htm

Rethinking Gobuntu

,----[ Quote ]