[News] Vista Can't Compete with Linux on MIDs, Prices Likely to Fall Further

Netbook? MID? Is This PC Category for Real?

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're providing a totally different value," Ho told InternetNews.com. "You
| don't need [Microsoft] Vista on these devices," he said, which means
| less-demanding hardware requirements.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/hardware/article.php/3750841

Here Comes the Asus 'Freee PC'

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm predicting that the successful pricing model for "mini me too" laptops
| will look nothing like the notebook pricing model (where you always pay full
| price for the hardware), and a lot like the cell phone pricing model where
| you buy a service, and the hardware is heavily subsidized or given away free.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/commentary/article.php/3750916/Here+Comes+the+Asus+Freee+PC.htm

Last week:

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Intel CEO mum on Vista's impact