Re: [News] New Attempts to Subvert EU Patent Law with Software Patents

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 05 June 2008 23:08 : \____

>> Software patents: IPO revises practice and High Court makes another
>> pro-patentee decision
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The Intellectual Property Office has revised its guidance on claims
>>| relating to computer programs, reflecting the more permissive stance taken
>>| by the High Court in the recent Astron Clinica case. The High Court has
>>| made a further pro-patentee ruling, this time in the case of Symbian's
>>| application for an improved method of accessing a dynamic link library.
>>|
>>| As reported in our last technology update, the practice of the UK
>>| Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO) of flatly rejecting patent claims to
>>| computer program products has recently been overruled. The case law in the
>>| area, formulated in the 2006 Aerotel and Macrossan decisions (see our
>>| Internet & E-Commerce Update of November 2006) was clarified in January
>>| 2008 by the decision of the High Court in Astron Clinica & Ors (see
>>| coverage in our last Updated dated February 2008).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.olswang.com/updates/tech_q208/it_q208.pdf
>>

> Interesting that it would seem to be Nokia pushing this (symbian).

Nokia is one of the worst pro-swpatents lobbyists. Siemens is considered the
worst by FFII.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
 07:00:01 up 52 days,  5:12,  5 users,  load average: 0.45, 1.13, 1.14