Re: Did Erik Get Fired?

Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On May 28, 3:16 pm, "amicus_curious" <A...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "Moshe, Goldfarb." <brickn.str...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> > Is this the year of Linux?
>>
>> No.  From what I had been reading, 2005 was the Year of Linux.  Of course
>> that was in 2004.  I had heard a report in 2005 that they had moved the date
>> to 2006 in order to match the Vista release, but when that was delayed, the
>> Year of Linux apparently became 2007.  I haven't heard much more about it
>> though.  Have you?
>
> Actually, The "year of Linux" was 1999, when the DOJ was prosecuting
> Microsoft for Antitrust, Microsoft was trying to squeeze more money
> out of OEMs and Corporate Customers, and IBM officially "blessed"
> Linux as a supported Operating System.

I think you're right, at least in terms of Linux getting corporate
mind-share.  I think we've seen several tipping points in different
markets since then.  1999 was where major corporates started to tip.

> Since then, Linux has taken more and more server market share, Linux
> "appliances" have become ubiquitious, Linux powered consumer devices
> including HDTV, SDTV, and DVRs as well as many HD DVD players been
> powered by Linux or embedded Unix.

Things which go down as seminal steps include:

	Open/FreeBSD
	FSF/GNU  (gcc, bash, libc, etc. etc.)
	Linux
	nfs,nis
	Apache
	Slack
	Debian
	Red Hat
	SuSE
	mysql
	perl
	python
	LAMP
	Samba
	LVM, RAID
	Cygnus/cygwin
	Gnome & KDE
	knoppix
	Fedora
	Eclipse
	Wine
	Firefox
	OpenOffice
	Evolution
	Xorg
	GamePark GP32/GP2x
	Nokia N770/N800/N810
	OSDL
	Motorola phones (A780 etc.)
	Sony PS3
	Excito Bubba
	Ubuntu
	Mythtv
	JBOSS
	Moodle
	ODF
	Compiz
	Virtualisation
	OLPC
	LiMo
	OpenMoko
	Asus Eee
	Elonex
	Android
	Linux foundation

> OSS applications like FireFox, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Cygwin, and
> Cygwin based applications have proliferated aggressively.  In
> addition, Platform Independent technology such as Java, Perl, Ruby,
> and Eclipse have moved into a dominant position in the marketplace,
> with fewer and fewer applications written to the "Microsoft-Only"
> languages and APIs.
>
> Server virtualization has become the de-facto standard, with Linux
> running as the core kernel as well as most of the client operating
> systems.  Desktop virtualization has become increasingly popular as a
> way to reduce the time and effort required to recover Windows systems
> than run amok, recovery time for a fully configured system drops from
> 40 hours to about 30 minutes.

Desktop recovery seemed previously to be mostly around a "reinstall"
viewpoint.  Linux doesn't suffer from this problem, so I suspect that
we'll see the end of the reinstall as the "fix-all" approach.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |